Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
backdraft: I get these "windows" of sales only minutes apart, then hours of nothing. It's as if Google can turn us on and off while still showing our site in the SERPS. That is very strange and an experience shared by other sites over in the UK. I am in the US.
Here's a small sampling of past and recent discussion:
1. Google Traffic Throttling - where are we on this? [webmasterworld.com]
2. Time of day rankings changes [webmasterworld.com]
3. The Yo Yo Effect - is it now getting worse? [webmasterworld.com]
4. Huge drop in my blog traffic [webmasterworld.com]
5. Google Toggles our High Ranking On/Off Again and Again [webmasterworld.com]
6. One day spike in Google referrals [webmasterworld.com]
7. Is there a threshold for google traffic? [webmasterworld.com]
And there's more where that came from.
It seems like it's a lot harder to pin down now, and it was never easy. So what do you see? Is anyone wrestling with this on their own sites? Any ideas how it is being accomplished?
in assumption that this is Google bug.
karter: do all these sites use GA
drall: no GA, our biggest site has been throttled for years.
[edited by: tedster at 9:47 pm (utc) on Dec 30, 2010]
What is incredible to watch is after our visit count spikes for some page like that, other pages that normally perform [thousands of] visitors per day will all suffer just enough the rest of the day to level us out to that 36,000 number.
[edited by: tedster at 6:36 pm (utc) on Sep 20, 2010]
[edited by: drall at 7:35 pm (utc) on Sep 20, 2010]