Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
backdraft: I get these "windows" of sales only minutes apart, then hours of nothing. It's as if Google can turn us on and off while still showing our site in the SERPS. That is very strange and an experience shared by other sites over in the UK. I am in the US.
Here's a small sampling of past and recent discussion:
1. Google Traffic Throttling - where are we on this? [webmasterworld.com]
2. Time of day rankings changes [webmasterworld.com]
3. The Yo Yo Effect - is it now getting worse? [webmasterworld.com]
4. Huge drop in my blog traffic [webmasterworld.com]
5. Google Toggles our High Ranking On/Off Again and Again [webmasterworld.com]
6. One day spike in Google referrals [webmasterworld.com]
7. Is there a threshold for google traffic? [webmasterworld.com]
And there's more where that came from.
It seems like it's a lot harder to pin down now, and it was never easy. So what do you see? Is anyone wrestling with this on their own sites? Any ideas how it is being accomplished?
the traffic governor mechanism
and i thought that social media links were at the bottom of the food chain
And clear social recognition is a natural measure.
Can't that be abused too? Why not just tell a bunch of people to link to your site under a false pretense of say some kind of reward? Like the old tricky approach of "pass this email on (link to this site) to 20 friends and Bill Gates will pay you $$$$". Or how about actual paid links from social site users? I can hear the gears spinning already on "how can we beat this"? Word of mouth is great until it becomes PAID word of mouth, and how can Godzilla determine that?