Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 188.8.131.52
backdraft: I get these "windows" of sales only minutes apart, then hours of nothing. It's as if Google can turn us on and off while still showing our site in the SERPS. That is very strange and an experience shared by other sites over in the UK. I am in the US.
Here's a small sampling of past and recent discussion:
1. Google Traffic Throttling - where are we on this? [webmasterworld.com]
2. Time of day rankings changes [webmasterworld.com]
3. The Yo Yo Effect - is it now getting worse? [webmasterworld.com]
4. Huge drop in my blog traffic [webmasterworld.com]
5. Google Toggles our High Ranking On/Off Again and Again [webmasterworld.com]
6. One day spike in Google referrals [webmasterworld.com]
7. Is there a threshold for google traffic? [webmasterworld.com]
And there's more where that came from.
It seems like it's a lot harder to pin down now, and it was never easy. So what do you see? Is anyone wrestling with this on their own sites? Any ideas how it is being accomplished?
Something Google does every so often looks like traffic throttling or rationing.
The only time I ever see wild fluctuations is when a new algo is brought online. It usually clears up after a few days or weeks.
And now the further question comes up - why would some domains be given this treatment?
Hmm, for the last 4 days my UV's have been exactly the same number. Coincidence?
wouldn't the high peak be degraded over a year or so because of 10,000 new websites being added