Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Message Too Old, No Replies

Google Updates and SERP Changes - June 2012



3:40 am on Jun 1, 2012 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

< continued from [webmasterworld.com...] >

Traffic from G is down by 30% over this month. 20% from Knowledge Graph day and 10% from Panda.

I changed the site from being static width to fluid width (CSS changes only). I did that around Mid-May. Also moved the members section to a subdomain last week.

Other than that, I've just been adding content to pages which needed it.

Is it even possible that the fluid width change (was originally 990 width) would cause a Panda smack?

My main terms are still the same (although, none are #1 since they lost that ranking in January). It's the terms which usually get 1 or 2 hits which completely disappeared. That made up a big chunk of traffic.

[edited by: tedster at 1:48 pm (utc) on Jun 1, 2012]


3:35 pm on Jun 19, 2012 (gmt 0)

I've just tried that on .co.uk and I aren't getting the same results.

I've just tried 10 keywords in my vertical and there's little or no change on Adwords, and no change in the organic SERPS happening for me.


3:42 pm on Jun 19, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

To some people who say that they are seeing movements, what I can confirm that on websites that saw massive change on June 8/9, it is not over yet. I would have expected just minor change after that based on normal daily fluctuations, but in this Panda data refresh, I am noticing that the changes are still going on. Almost reminds me of a Google dance. My hypothesis is that yet again Google did not get it right and is trying to tweak.


7:31 pm on Jun 19, 2012 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

I don't know if it's summer, but for me in the 2 months I can see a sure surge of traffic.
Each day I can see less visitors compared to the past week.

I have a big site and I cannot pinpoint the problem exactly.
I was not hit by any Panda or Penguin, but it's like a slow, poisonous death.


9:31 pm on Jun 19, 2012 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

I think panda has evolved a lot through these last few iterations. I have come to think that almost no large site is unaffected by panda. Thin pages will suffer and all sites have some of these. I think there are various thresholds where sitewide penalties kick in. Something like 10% of total pages are thin, lose 10% of overall trust rank (thereby having sitewide effect); 20% of total pages are thin, lose 30% trust rank; 50% of pages are thin, lose 80% of trust rank.


11:29 pm on Jun 19, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

Another observation today I have not seen before. I was using an Android tablet and searched for a generic 4 word query in the one-box address bar. Instead of seeing a results page with 10 blue links, it brought me directly to the first result. (no results page at all)

I went back to my desktop and checked... and it showed 10 blue result links for the same query. As I type this, I checked it again and the result is the same. On the tablet, I am taken directly to the first result website.



7:20 am on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)

mhansen, seeing the same here, cycles ads & also throws in the Google Shopping results. Organic SERP's do not change though, only ads to the top, right & the one box shopping results. Looks like another test around how much revenue each version pulls to me!


9:34 am on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

@wingslevel it could be that, or could it be the duration that Panda has evaluated your site structure for?

Example, a site in one of my verticals is doing incredibly well with lots of automatically spun, boilerplate style pages. On many of them just a couple of words change from page to page.

I think at the moment it's working great as Panda hasn't spent enough time evaluating the site. Coincidentally, they currently show up with multiple listings all over the place.

I'm guessing their demise isn't too far away....


1:05 am on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

I haven't seen anyone posting here today, or just a few, so I must be the only one affected by something since yesterday. Right now, 7PM I am at 50% of what I had yesterday and I don't know what's going on. Maybe it is the redoing of the web site that is kicking in or just something else.
I haven't since the launch of the web site see several minutes go by without a visitor from Google nor other SE's and that is REALLY strange. I have a 2 word phrase that people use a lot but not even that phrase is giving hits. I can use it in Google and see it on first page but still not hits. It seems like the SERP change depending on where you are, what browser you are using, where you have been before you went to Google, what shoe size you have and what ad you clicked on 2 weeks ago.
I had a little what seemed to be a recovery yesterday but then today, Whammmmmm..... b**** slapped
I read somewhere that if you have a web site that has had a penalty applied to it, it will never go away. You will always have that in your file and it would be better to create a totally new site that try to recover an old one. Not sure that's true but it wouldn't surprise me.
I also read that the search for "english person" was not a Google bomb, it is just the way their AI works at the moment and I believe that.


1:25 am on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)


I was affected yesterday also. No longer showing in serp's. The same thing happened 2-3 weeks ago and then after a week or so I'll show back up in serps. No idea whats going on but it's driving me insane


1:46 am on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

@ibeau, it's getting really old really fast. I see lots of the same sites with sub domains showing up so right now it seems to be the way to go, but maybe not tomorrow. There are a lot of sites with just a few pages or just launched that show up ahead of old well known sites and looking at their tags and stuff, it is nothing special. Not many, if any backlinks, so who knows what's going on in my space.
I went all the way to page 10 and didn't see my site for what it should show up for if everything was right. It used to be on 1st and second page for years and to be honest, none of the sites I see now are better or have more to offer to a visitor. There are some that I think is better than mine so if they show up ahead of mine, I am fine with that.


2:08 am on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

@gehrlekrona don't let google search know you are you. SERPs are tailored for each user profile. Maybe you've done +1 on your page, an then SERP will show your url first. Use Firefox with private browsing [support.mozilla.org ] or something like that, so you can search anonymously. This way, SERPs won't be tailored for your profile.


6:26 am on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

So how to know exact when Google refresh Panda, Penguin?
Or i have to follow [twitter.com ] to know?

With current SEO strategy, should i do what before time Google refresh algos?

Thanks in advance


6:52 am on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

Saw a lot movements in last couple days, some of our pages lost ranking since June 8th update, and now it seems that they are back to same ranking prior to June 8th.


8:58 am on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

Same here @grimmer. Several ranking drops since 8th June, traffic was dire yesterday and today lots of our rankings are back to pre 8th June positions. Traffic looks better so far today as well.

Maybe they cocked up Panda on the 8th June like they did in April and this is another re-run. I'm sure it will all change again in 5 minutes.


1:02 pm on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

Whatever's happened this month with the Panduin twins has once again hammered my Coppermine gallery into almost oblivion.

Current weekday traffic is 25% of May 2012 average which in turn was 50% of May 2011, yep 12.5% of a year ago now.

So much for exclusive niche widget content!


3:02 pm on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Seeing changes here in the UK.

A few significant leaps in the right direction for a couple of sites and small amounts of movement across other verticals...


3:51 pm on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

we think we've been seeing what we think are panda tweaks all week. being thursday, we should see a bigger set of changes pushing through tonight.


4:09 pm on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

@wingslevel, God I hope it is for the better if you are right... Not sure it can get worse in Google. It's hard to find out from Google that your site is really crappy.


4:26 pm on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

My pages keep dropping in and out of the SERPs and getting replaced with lesser pages. My home page has now disappeared for my main SERP and replaced by a weak inner page and so has another 2 major category pages. I do currently have issues with canonical URL's so maybe that's the root of the problem? Is anyone else's main pages going off the radar?


4:44 pm on Jun 21, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

This is one of those times when our business should be flourishing. Between the hot weather in the US and the type of site we have, we're usually busier than we can handle. Our organic referrals from G have all but dried up.

Our rankings on the particular site are perfectly fine from what we can check on our own system sand through a proxy... serps 1-3 placements on the major terms that always delivered converting traffic, etc. It's just dead.

Almost like ads are shifting the organic results even lower, resulting in fewer clicks.

Is anyone else seeing this? Placement in SERP's as expected, but very few clicks?


2:40 am on Jun 22, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

@mhansen: Have seen similar before, ranking unchanged or even improved, but CTR and visits down.

It could be ads, or sometimes it could be a site further down having more attractive rich snippets (ratings, pictures ...) and people being attracted to flashy/shiny things.


3:16 am on Jun 22, 2012 (gmt 0)

Just got home from a few day vacation, and I'm looking over my stats for the last few days.

Looks like starting on Tuesday, I started to see some ranking & traffic recoveries on a site that was previously hit by Panda. I'm not talking a huge recovery here, but it's something -- some pages that had been knocked back to page 10+ are back on page 1.

Has there been any official news from Google the last couple days?

Martin Ice Web

6:56 am on Jun 22, 2012 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 5+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

Till Thursday we gained a lot of rankings back, conversion rate was very high. Poeple had been satisfied with the serps. The at about 3 p.m. goomazon changed again ( I think they switched to another dataset ) and suddenly the user flow was off. Conversion Zero, bounce rate high.
But this was again thursday, we see this pattern since 4-5 weeks now.

We although see a traffic throttling for each 3 Minutes. Its always the same user amount, not one more not one less.


11:16 am on Jun 22, 2012 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ianturner is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

@mhansen - yes seeing more ad dominated SERPs and across a wider range of keywords than before.


2:11 pm on Jun 22, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

at about 3 p.m. goomazon changed again

I saw this drop yesterday too. After a robust start to a Thursday, our traffic dropped off and hasn't returned now today. In fact, I'm seeing significantly worse traffic than usual today.


3:01 pm on Jun 22, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

Same keywords, same placement, NO hits :'(


3:46 pm on Jun 22, 2012 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

@martin and getcooking - we saw the same across several sites - strong tues/weds then pullback on thursday - we have been seeing these movements across all tiers, meaning primary and longtail keywords.

separately, i am increasingly feeling like none of this matters anymore anyway - the end of organic referrals is coming at a rapid rate - lately, on more and more queries, i am seeing no organic results between the top 3 ads and the local results - the first organic result is way below the fold. i feel like a dinosaur.


12:57 am on Jun 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

I think your feeling that organic referrals is coming to an end. What I don't understand yet is that I can have the same keywords and the same placement but still don't get any hits from keywords I use to get hits from. They must have different results depending on where you are and most likely different results depending on time of day for certain web sites.
It started out bad and it hasn't picked up at all. I got a lot of duplicate tags in WMT now but it is because they can't figure out the paginating and I am not sure how to do it differently yet.
In WMT it also says that there is a DNS error which just showed up but the graph says it has been like that for 90 days which is weird because today is the first day it showed up.
I have used Fe\tch as Google and that worked perfectly and the site is up and running.... Is it WMT that's broke? There's a lot of weird sh** in my WMT but maybe it's just me.


3:48 am on Jun 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

So ....think they'll have another Penguin refresh soon ? Am eager to see if removals have helped.


4:21 am on Jun 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member tedster is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

What I don't understand yet is that I can have the same keywords and the same placement but still don't get any hits from keywords I use to get hits from.

Sometimes all it takes is a change or update to the automatic suggestions. Have you checked the actual search volume for those keywords recently?
This 362 message thread spans 13 pages: 362

Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month