For the first time in my life I want to hire a programmer to develop a web site for me and need your advice on this. I can theoratically do it myself and imotionally its a very difficult decision for me to not do this myself :). However, in the interest of keeping my sanity and in the name of MicroEconomics-101, I have decided to hire someone else to do the job.
I have a detailed description of the business. Anyone with a good software designing experience can create a design doc from this description. I do not want to hire the cheapest firm but a good one.
1. How detailed description of the business should I provide when I am asking for initial bids? Should I just give a very brief description and see what responses I get?
2. The work is divided in three parts.
2.1 Graphic design (web site appearance, logos, etc)
2.2 Backend and middleware design (database and server side business logic implementation)
Above all, I want a functional website first and pretty later. So should I assign these three parts to three different parties?
3. I want to do the development in stages? Release some functionality now and remaining slowly. How do you incorporate it in a contract?
4. What are the things I should be including in the service contracts?
5. Whar are the payment schedule? x% after design, y% after site on programmer's host, remaining on hosting the site at the hosting service?
6. Am I missing something?
7. Any GOTCHAs?
I understand, almost all the questions are vague. But if you have made any decisions in your past on the above lines, I would really appreciate any feedback.
Thanks and Regards