Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: open

Message Too Old, No Replies

pop up - well, kinda?

help with a javascript pop up.

11:59 am on Aug 8, 2003 (gmt 0)

New User

10+ Year Member

joined:May 31, 2003
votes: 0

I have looked all over the place and cannot seem to find a specific type of javascript(?) pop up that is suitable.

The exact thing i need is like on <snip> the pop up that moves from left to right.

If anyone can help me out there, and not direct me to hotscripts where i have searched the whoole site then that wud help :- )

Thanks webmaster world you guys own!

[edited by: korkus2000 at 1:07 pm (utc) on Aug. 8, 2003]
[edit reason] No URLS Please [/edit]

12:48 pm on Aug 8, 2003 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:July 26, 2003
votes: 0


I think what you are looking for is a 'pop-under' (or 'interstitial'). See what you can turn up with by a search for 'javascript pop-under' or 'javascript interstitial.'

Personally speaking, I would use the old hidden div trick instead, because of the proliferation of pop-up blockers (which also block interstitials) these days.

It is not actually another window like a popup/under is, but it is rather an HTML container element (usualy a div) that has been made to look like a window (doesn't have to, though, you can make it look like whatever you want). The reason for doing it that way is because that way, even if a user has a pop-up blocker in action, they still receive the content, because the container element is actually part of the same page, rather than a new page (Cf. the little box thing in the top-right corner of Yahoo! member pages).


1:14 pm on Aug 8, 2003 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member korkus2000 is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Mar 20, 2002
votes: 0

As said above, it is a layer or div that is moved across with javascript. Inside of it is an image map that looks like a window with hotspots to close or go to the site. If you search google for moving divs or something like that you should find many tutorials. The hard part is the movement, but there are many copy paste scripts for that.