Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
Forum Moderators: open
Hang in there.
Then June 15th we saw an Update and my site was showing only 3 backlinks out of a possible 12 (all vary in PR etc)
Then i got a DMOZ listing, and it was not until last week that google decided to see this and now we show with a CAT, but it was still not showing up in the backlinks.
However yesterday after doing the usual checks, i noticed that my backlinks being shown had increased from 3 to 10, with 4 of these being internal, and at last it was showing the ODP link.
But PR is still 0 (white)
However i am still not quite sure what's going on as it seems to be that not all DCs have this new data, because 8 times out of 10 it will just show the original 3 and then sometimes the new count of 10.
(i know not many but they are enough for me as its quality not quantity that really counts)
But checking with www-cw it shows the new count of all 10
So will there also be an update of PR soon as well, now that the Backlinks issue seems like its being sorted/fixed?
Fleapit, I bet you can surely expect to see the backlink of that PR8 in the next update, provided your link can be found in the G cache for that page.
Since June, I see a few similar instances like yours that not all the quality links that you got and crawled in that cycle would show up in the coming update, but do show up in the next one instead. A few links I got in May (although appear in cache) did not appear in June link update while others did - but these links were not missing and added in this August. Same happening seems to repeat itself for some links I got in July - being crawled and cached, but not seen in August update.
That link was added on March 12th and then removed on April 11th. Why has Google gone back to showing it? If this is the continuous update, forget progress and go back to the monthly updates again.
For example Google France has a grey bar [google.fr...] (that isn't a penalty, for sure)
So, unless GoogleGuy publicly confesses he doesn't like frenchies and this grey bar is deliberate, there is still some PR changes to expect. :)
But I've seen more fluctuation in recent days than I have previous seen over weekly, even monthly periods.
Some of the things I'm noticing:
-- An awful lot of page, with varying PRs, suddenly showing as "not ranked by Google"
-- keyword1 keyword2 has #1 position one day, nowhere to be seen the next
-- keyword1 keyword2 is nowhere to be seen one day, is on first page the next
While, overall, I would say that the recent changes have been favourable, this all makes it difficult for me to report to my clients.
When I tell them that keyword1 keyword2 has x position, I can't be sure that's what they'll see -- even if they check the same day!
I'm ending up telling them that Google's SERPs are simply "unstable" at the moment.
Conclusion 1: the index is still extremely unstable.
Conclusion 2: the PR is not directly related to the SERPs
Conclusion 3: I'll continue to worry about my visitors' needs rather than Google's preferences. This search engine is utterly unpredictable...
For months the link: command showed no results and site was PR0.
The inurl: command listed every page of the site as well as several pages from other sites and directories (including an ODP clone, Joe Ant, and a Joe Ant clone) that linked to the site.
A few weeks back (or more?), the link: command started showing links from two other sites that linked to this one. Those links were in place very soon after the site originally went live. The link: command still didn't show any of the more recent links that I know exist out there. It didn't even show any of those that it already know about and had previously shown when using the inurl: command.
At least a week ago, the inurl: results changed such that only pages from the site itself were listed, and still remains that way.
In the last few days the link: command on cw and gv has suddenly started listing all of the internal pages of the site, and a link from the ODP from late May. It does not list the other links that it had been previously showing with either the inurl: or the link: command.
The site is now PR4 on most pages too. This changed a couple of days ago.
There has been an update of some sort but the data is still incomplete or broken.