Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: incrediBILL
kodaks, the source code window used to not pop up at all. After I deleted the temp files it started popping up an empty notepad window. I think my problem may somehow be with notepad. I can open a new notepad window by double clicking on the Notepad icon but if I try to double click a text file that would normally open in Notepad, nothing happens. No window opens at all.
jnm... already did that over and over but no change. Thanks though...
photon, no links on the desktop.
I'm starting to think that it is just time for a format and clean install. With 120gigs of C drive, backing up is a pain though! I'm a graphic designer and a musician so lots of huge files would have to be moved...
To those suggesting it, I have repeatedly tried emptying the cache as that is the first thing people usually suggest. In my case, it makes no difference.
I have tried rebuilding the registry. I have tried re-associating the file type. I have tried spyware and virus sweeps. And I tried the great ideas on the page jcm suggested.. Still no luck.
I finally came up with a new idea.. I switched over to Firefox for browsing and it works just fine so far. Still a problem in the computer but at least I can work around it until I decide to rebuild my system.
Thanks for all the help.
In both Outlook and Internet Explorer, right-clicking and choosing View Source currently does not work on my computer. The source for the message or page is not displayed, though the feature worked until recently.
There are many possible causes for this.
If your browser cache is full, View Source can fail. To see if this is the case, select Internet Options from IE's Tools menu, click on the General tab, and click on the Delete files button in the Temporary Internet Files pane.
View Source is always disabled when a page has not finished loading (a clue here would be that File ¦ Save As is also disabled). Again this is probably not the cause.
If Notepad.exe is missing from the Windows folder, View Source will fail.
View Source can fail if the TEMP or TMP environment variable points to a nonexistent folder. Open a command prompt and enter the commands SET TEMP and SET TMP to view the values of these variables.
A Registry setting can restrict the availability of this command. Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu's Run dialog and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ Restrictions. Look in the right-hand pane for a value named NoViewSource. If present with data set to 1, double-click on it and change the data to 0.
A Registry setting may point to the wrong program to invoke for View Source. Launch REGEDIT and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name. If this key exists, the data for the default value in the right-hand pane should be the full pathname of notepad, typically C:\windows\notepad.exe. If not, verify the correct location of notepad, double-click on the default value, and correct the data.
A Group Policy setting can disable the View Source menu item. From the Start menu's Run dialog, launch GPEDIT.MSC. If this command is unrecognized, a Group Policy setting is not the cause. Otherwise, in the Group Policy Editor, navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\Internet Explorer \Browser menus. In the right-hand pane find the item View menu: Disable Source menu. If it's set to Enabled, change it to Disabled.
Note that the Temporary Internet Files problem (the first item) is the most common reason for View Source to fail. If that doesn't help, go through these possibilities until the problem is cleared up.
Hope one of these solutions fixes the problem for you.
I went through all of your items there. The funny thing is that I didn't have any of those items in my registry. Strange enough...
But I did get it fixed. I went to my laptop that is hooked up on my wireless network and copied the notepad from it into the shared docs folder and then replaced the notepad in my system with it. No change. But when I replaced the one in my System32 folder I found that the size was different and after that it worked... Somehow that one had been replaced or corrupted. It was still an exe and not a com but that was the culprit! Thanks to all for the help.
I am liking Firefox pretty well though. The built in pop up blocking is pretty neat and it is a lot faster than IE. Haven't found any inconsistencies yet.
It's nice because the source comes up in the browser window instead of in notepad.
(works in IE - don't know about the other browsers)