Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Forum Moderators: incrediBILL
Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do is get Firefox 3 during Download Day to help set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours - itís that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.
The official date for the launch of Firefox 3 is June 17, 2008. Join our community and this effort by pledging today.
I don't believe updates count. I remember reading that only downloads will be counted and updates to the new version will not. So if you are planning on taking park I guess you have to uninstall the current one first, pretty lame..
If an existing user is forced to remove FF2 first (or to install FF3 next to FF2), it is still an update from version 2 to 3. The internal technical details are not important. It is still just an update (like XP SP2 to SP3).
The MySQL error was: Too many connections
Incidentally, the FAQ page [spreadfirefox.com] (if you can get to it) answers some of the questions above:
- This is the first record attempt of its kind so there is no set number
- A "download" is the transmission of the entire, fully functioning Firefox 3 - not an update
So, it's a new record, and simply requires the transfer of the file - it doesn't matter if you install it or not ;)
[edited by: Receptional_Andy at 10:29 pm (utc) on June 16, 2008]
Best of luck to the FF team and the server and network crews -- FF3rc3 looks good so far!
The files in this directory are - for now - only meant to be used by our testers. Downloading them directly can harm our ability to distribute Firefox efficiently, and will also not be counted as part of our attempt to set a Guiness World Record for the most software downloads in a day.
If you'd like to be notifed the minute that we launch, please go to sign up for Download Day. Or just head over to getfirefox.com on Tuesday, June 17th after 10am PDT.
Too bad mozilla.com and this site [spreadfirefox.com] can't carry the load, all timing out.
Very upset about this... I am sure there will be one soon. I can't live without it and I am sure other developers feel the same way.
I did find that you can.....
(I don't endorse this but it did work for me... try at own risk)
1. Save the firebug-1.05-fx+fl.xpi file to disk
2. Re-named it to firebug-1.05-fx+fl.zip
3. Opened the zip file, and extracted the file "install.rdf"
4. Opened "install.rdf" with Notepad
5. Changed <em:maxVersion>2.0.0.*</em:maxVersion> to <em:maxVersion>3.0.0.*</em:maxVersion>
6. Saved the file, and replaced the version in the zip file with the new version
7. Renamed the .zip file back to firebug-1.05-fx+fl.xpi
8. Drag-drop firebug-1.05-fx+fl.xpi into an instance of FF3.
And boom it will run... again this isn't endorsed by FF or FB and I have done no long term testing so please don't come back if something breaks and yell at me.