Since May 2nd I have been getting hammered (over 68000 hits) for filenames NOT on my server. They are in the form of
/xxxxxxxxxx where x is any number 0-9, always 10 digits.
More strange, while majority are 404, a significant number are showing as 301!
What is going on?
Meanwhile, I want to ensure that any 301 (other files are affected as well) is never processed as I HAVE NO REDIRECTS IN FORCE or is returned as a 404-410. Point me in the direction to learn enough regex to make any request for /xxxxxxxxxx (any integer) die a horrible 404 death. What I know would fill a gnat's thimble, and that's a lot smaller than a regular thimble.
Kicked into overdrive last night in the 301s began to take in existing 200 files on the system!
All IP addresses checked so far resolve to MS, though I did locate at least one that was G.
.htaccess is clean ... has nothing I did not put in it.
Site moved from host where it lived for 15 years April 13 with no problems. Logs were normal until recently.
Asking here since the villain involved is:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; bingbot/2.0; +http://www.bing.com/bingbot.htm)
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Nexus 5X Build/MMB29P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)
What is most perplexing is the site getting hammered only has 762 pages, including css!