Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Forum Moderators: mademetop
I wonder if someone can give me an idea of where to start looking for some answers. My site has been ranking well in all the major SEs for competitive relevant search terms for 3 years now, then suddenly in June this year it nose-dived and it's lost 80% of its traffic almost overnight and has moved from page 1 to page 100+. I have done absolutely nothing to it in recent months, other than uplaod some news and articles which I've always done. There has been no change to the code or any other changes I can think of.
I'd be grateful for an idea of where to start on this one.
* Ensure that you are still indexed in Google.
That verified, your ranking drop could be due to penalty or simply due to competitors gaining superior backlinks than yours.
* Have you been gaining links in any unnatural way against Google TOS? ( paid links, sponsored links, link schemes, etc etc ). If yes, clean the mess and file a reinclusion request throí Google webmaster central console.
* Compare your current backlinks with historical backlink data when you used to rank at top. You could have lost few high quality links. Replenish those.
* Check your backlink anchor text profile. Does it appear natural? Can your backlink profile pass a human review? If not, bring some variety in your backlink anchor text profile.
* Sometimes, simply not updating your site for too long can lead to competitors overtaking you.
* The most dangerous competitor is the one who has not arrived on the scene yet! So IMHO, itís time to pull up socks and build some quality content + links to regain lost positions.