Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
Forum Moderators: open
Use your keywords subtly within the page, write content that is related to the term without keyword cramming. optimise your page title to reflect your target terms and get inbound links from pages that are very closly related to your term.
There is no quick and easy way to simply make a page rank well. It takes time and effort. I suggest you stick around and read the forums for pieces of information that will help you.
1) i jotted down a lot of keywords which i thought would reflect my homepage and what customers would be searching for (checked searches on google because that is the only SE i'm concentrating on at the moment: searched was high)
2) I double checked these keywords on keyword tools (google/word tracker) and then narrowed down the list to few which are highly searched and would be highly competitive too. If i have to use them to get good ranking in SE what am i supposed to do?
Think about writing helpful articles, that gives google more content to rank you for. Especially if you use the keywords you want to get ranked for in the article. (however, don't go overboard on using the keywords in the article that won't help)
I seriously havent put much effort in to articles due to the time consuming nature of this job but it pays i agree with you and will do something on that too, thanks for your suggestions, cheers
What you'd want to do is pass muster for keyword co-occurrence - with phrases on the site that go together naturally with the main keyword. Like a site about baked goods would be expected to have pages about bread, rolls, pastries, pies, cakes, cupcakes, etc.
A good rule of thumb is to do what's good and useful for users without over-doing anything.
If this is about adsense money (example) you can:
a) make a bunch for a very short time before penalty (site is SEO only) or
b) make money over the long term with no penalty (Content/Value first, SEO second)
c) create an authoritative site that will make more money long term (Content/Value, no SEO concern)
d) create an authoritative site that will never make money (Content)
Odd thing is that c) and d) can both create income, just not the "get rich quick" which clutters up the web these days, but will be around, ranking higher over the years.
Also bear in mind that 100,000 new sites happen every few days so consider that competition as well.
Just my 2.5 cents (adjusted for inflation)
Computer is a general keyword and it is difficult to rank on google research result and it is better if your track down it to keyword phrases such as computer hardware. And you can do it using the adword keyword research tool.
You can add your keywords in your Title and use it for your link building process such as forum and article writing
BUT if you want to brave the SEO frontier on your own, here is what I do every time, and it has always seems to worke well for me:
*Research the market, find the keywords you want to focus on
*Customize Page titles with keyword terms and phrases separated by "¦"
*Header Tags (Headers using keywords where it makes sense)
*Content (taking a webinar on SEM and writing content for marketing and SEO really helps here)
*adding descriptions, keywords, metatags with your keywords
*adding google analytics to track your efforts
*do an adword campaign even if for a short time (utilize an adword credit) these reports really give you a lot more insight to how people are finding you and what keywords you want to go after
*add some keywords to the footer where it makes sense
* Link building, adding links to your own site and trying to get reciprocal links on other sites
*Embed a blog, and create useful articles which leads me to the next thing
* Social Media campaigns - adding your domain to facebook (there is a page just for websites), twitter account, linked in, whatever you can get on to promote your blog articles to get traffic to your site - consider eBooks too (embed your facebook and twitter widgets on your website or offer links at least
* Utilize local listings - claim or list your business with google maps, yahoo maps, msn (bing), local. com etc.
* Find forums that allow link signatures and post there (not spam actually find a forum you can participate in regularly some have rules that you can't do signature links until you have been there a while)
* Finally, I do regular craigslist ads, they always rank well, and you can do HTML in most categories. apply all the same rules as you would a website as far as content and titles.
[edited by: Receptional_Andy at 3:29 pm (utc) on Nov. 17, 2009]
[edit reason] No specific keywords or URLs, please, see charter [/edit]