Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: open
I would love for someone more experienced to point me to a source that explains (preferably in detail and with examples) the terms used by information gathering tools -- terms like
For example: in using spyfu these results showed up for two of the competitors of my client:
Rank: 1 7
Common Terms: 4 7
Highest Rank: 10 1
Top Ranked: 5 51
Total Ads: 4 11
I need to be able to interpret these results in a meaningful way.
I realize various tools may use these terms somewhat differently, but I need a place to start that will give me a good foundation for going ahead. Feel free to mail me a URL!
Thanks very much.
[edited by: Clair at 10:04 am (utc) on Feb. 4, 2007]
Normally, "Rank" relates to the positioning.
"Common Terms" could be that tool's assessment of the generic phrases.
"Highest Rank" is what it says, the highest ranked term, perhaps on the site assessed.
"Top Ranked" is probably as above, but perhaps the keywords you've chosen. Difficult to say.
One of the best ways to learn is to do it yourself without using proprietary tools.
A good starting point is:
1. Check out your competitors' websites and look at their keywords (don't copy them, you can do better).
2. Run a few keyword checks in your favourite search engines to detect which sites do well.
3. Analyse those sites to find out why.
4. Use a spreadsheet to build a record of keywords, and their extent.
5. Once you've done that, get yourself a thesaurus and start adding keywords to your spreadsheet.
I don't know i've answered your question, but hopefully, it'll help you learn by minimising the proprietary tools you use.
Mod note: please, no tool drops.