joined:July 13, 2008
I had a couple of questions about improving markup, and I was hoping that you guys could help me with this.
On several pages of a website, I have the following in the body section of the HTML source code:
An h1 tag in its own block and after that in the body text block, it says Chapter 1, a few paragraphs below that, and then a link to another page.
I am thinking of coding this in the following way:
<h1>Build a Great Widget</h1>
<h4><a href>Building Red Metal Widgets</a></h4> (There is a link to another page within the h4 tag)
(1) Would it be ok to do the above or should I use span tags where I have the h4 tags?
In the h4 tag at the top, I donít have keyword phrases that I want the page to rank for, but in the h4 tag at the bottom, the link within it is often a keyword phrase that I want the page that it links to to rank for. Could having a link with keyword phrases within an h4 tag be over optimization? I suggested the above structure because I think that it is good markup, but I don't want to over optimize. Also, I have heard that it is okay to put a link in a heading tag but can you tell me if it is okay to do this?
(2) Does using h4 tags instead of the span tags help to make it clearer to the search engines what the page is about? Theme, content, etc.
(3) If using the h4 tags is over optimization, can I perhaps use the h4 tag at the top and at the bottom, where I have the link with the keyword phrase, use the span tag instead of the h4?
(4) Is it ok to use an h4 tag after an h1 and not have h2 and h3 tags on the page? h2 and h3 tags, I think, are good to use for sections of a page, but when a page only has paragraphs and you are saying something like Chapter 1, I think that it is better to use an h4.
On other pages of the site, I would like to make the markup in the following way:
<h1>Build a Cool Widget</h1>
<h2> Older Methods</h2>
<h4><a href>Building Smooth Green Widgets</a></h4> (There is a link to another page within the h4 tag)
(1) When I did some research on the internet, I mostly read that heading tags should be in order. Would it be okay to have the h4 tag before the h2 tags?
Another thing that I had a question about is the signature. I am thinking of coding my signature on the contact page in the following way:
www.buildinggreatwidgets.tld (in link form and there are keywords in the domain. The domain is also in link form in the footer of the website.)
firstname.lastname@example.org (in link form and there are keywords in the domain name portion of the address)
(1) Would this be good markup without over optimization? Or should I use the span tag instead?
I know that I have asked a lot of questions, but I want to code my pages properly. Many of you probably have more coding experience than me.
I would really appreciate your responses.