Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Forum Moderators: incrediBILL
What would cause a straightforward QuickTime .mov file to fail to load properly in FF and Opera, but play perfectly in IE?
The error in both FF and Opera claims I'm missing a plugin, which is wrong. I do have QT installed and can load .mov from other sites.
I'm using php to write the html, but since this is about a discrepancy between browsers, I thought I'd post the issue here.
Here's an example of the HTML that is output from the PHP:
<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" width="320" height="256">
<param name="src" value="/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/brubeckoral&CISOPTR=10&filename=11.mov">
<param name="autoplay" value="true">
<param name="loop" value="false">
<param name="controller" value="true">
<param name="kioskmode" value="true">
<embed src="/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/brubeckoral&CISOPTR=10&filename=11.mov" kioskmode="true" autoplay="true" loop="false" controller="true" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download" width="320" height="256">
This code plays fine in IE, but both Opera and FF claim I'm missing a plugin. Yet Opera will play .mov files from other sites.
According to opera:plugins, this is what is listed for .mov:
Thanks for the replies. It appears to a be a problem with the showfile.exe application. I suspect the .exe extension within an <embed> tag is confusing everyone and so the filename variable isn't being read. Why IE has no trouble with the same url structure when it's located in an <object> tag, I have no idea.
I did create a test page using the HTML code I pasted and a local/direct copy of 11.mov and everything worked flawlessly (not surprising).
We've opened a ticket...