Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.73.126.70

Forum Moderators: open

Message Too Old, No Replies

Chrome won't access localhost. All other browsers are fine [SOLVED]

   
12:55 am on Mar 2, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ergophobe is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



So I have all sorts of local domains defined in my Windows hosts file and in vhost.conf, running a WAMP stack.

Every browser (Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari) runs these local domains just fine.

Chrome gives a DNS error. I've tried everything to empty the Chrome DNS cache, but I can't get it to resolve these domains.

Why would one browser be unable to access a given URL? Any ideas for how to reset Chrome?
2:45 am on Mar 2, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



Have you tried MachineName.DomainName.tld.

Does ping localhost in a command window work?
8:28 pm on Mar 2, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ergophobe is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



ping works fine and all browsers other than Chrome work fine.

If I'm working on example.com, the local working URL is usually example.dev - so that's what the URLs look like.
6:53 am on Mar 4, 2013 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



Does it maybe need the port numbers at the end of the url? example.dev:8888

Just tossing that out there since I spend many frustrating hours not too long ago struggling with seeing my local server from IE in windows using VMware (I'm on a Mac), turned out I'd not been adding the ports.
11:40 am on Mar 4, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator phranque is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



have you messed around with your proxy settings in chrome?

if you're using a proxy there's a checkbox to bypass it for local addresses.
3:59 pm on Mar 4, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ergophobe is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



Thanks guys

Apache is listening on port 80. Adding :80 to the URL does nothing.

I had checked the proxy settings. Checked them again. No luck.
8:04 pm on Mar 11, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ergophobe is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



Got it!

Chrome depends on Internet Explorer Internet Options to set it's connection. A lot of things can screw with IE's ability to work with your local hosts file.

I did the following and now it works:

- turn off Search Suggestions
- under LAN settings, uncheck "use automatic configuration"

Fixed!
11:56 pm on Mar 15, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ergophobe is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



Arrghhh - Chrome has become so annoying. Now all of the sudden it decides that it will not access, of all things, GOOGLE!

That's right, I can't actually use Google with Chrome. The irony
12:27 am on Mar 16, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member leosghost is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



Possibly because you turned off search suggestions..if it can't talk to the mothership..it may well auto-sulk..
2:26 am on Mar 18, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator bill is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



Are you sure you don't have any extensions hat might be interfering with your connection? This sounds very odd.

Do you get the same behavior with an incognito window?
6:54 pm on Mar 18, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ergophobe is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



The google.com issue seems to have resolved itself.

The issue of not accessing local domains defined in the HOSTS file is pretty common.

The Google issue was a random issue. On another machine, though, I found Chrome the least reliable with Google services.
11:59 pm on Mar 28, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ergophobe is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



Curiously, I still can't access Google with Chrome except maybe one or two pages after I clear the cache.

I can, however, access it from an incognito window. It's enough to send me back to Firefox. If I could only remember what sent me from Firefox to Chrome :-)
2:19 pm on Mar 29, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member fotiman is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 5+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



Did you ever try firing up the Dev Tools in Chrome (just press F12) and examining the Network tab to see what it was doing?
4:52 pm on Mar 29, 2013 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator ergophobe is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month



Currently after clearing the cache I can't get it to fail. I"m logged into a gmail account and have activated about 10 extensions that I normally don't even use.

I think it someone has something to do with being logged into a Google service because even with no extensions it generally reasserts itself.

>>incognito

It pretty much always works in incognito, so I assume this is related to an extension, a cookie or the very fact of being logged into some Google service.

>>Network tab

When it fails, the Network tabs shows nothing or a single .png (I think it's something like "success.png" but I could be wrong about that.

Every time I turn off an extension and think I have it figured, it twinks out again. If I clear the cache, it tends to behave normally for a while.
 

Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month