Share your hot money making tips with me
Happily. I will tell anyone who asks all my "secrets".
1. Great content
- Yep, I know. That is hard. It sucks that it is hard but if you want to get ahead, you have to be better than the competition and content is how you do that. Find writers who are passionate. Find great sources that are buried. People don't realize this, but there is a dark web out there in almost every niche. Figure out how to access it and bring it to the light.
2. Design, design, design
- The old idea that ugly sites sell is now false. Panda has a definite taste for pretty sites. Well, maybe not Panda. People have a taste for pretty sites and Panda follows their lead. The age of crappy looking sites is past. Make your site pretty. Unfortunately, no matter how informative your site is, if it comes down to your informative, old, ugly site versus an informative, pretty, new site - your site will lose. And the pretty new site will come to your space eventually. Age no longer matters much to Google. Being informative does, being pretty does, but not age. Oh, and pictures matter. People like picture, so Google likes pictures.
3. Social matters
- Nope, probably won't help your SEO one whit (well, maybe it will a little but that is a discussion for another day). It will help you survive a Google downturn. You don't turn to social because you expect it to increase your Google traffic. You turn to social because it will insulate you when (not if, WHEN) you lose your Google traffic.
4. Do not put ads above all else
- No one wants to see your ads. No one. Not Google (who supplies them), not your visitors who come to your site - heck, even your advertisers don't want you to put your ads above all else. They want you to qualify your visitors for the ads. They want you to prove that you know how to attract the eyeballs they want. Get a visitor to your site for your content (see #1) and they will convert better. If your content is so great that they have to tear themselves away from it to look at ads, AdSense will notice. People who click on ads just to get away from bad content DON'T buy. People who click on ads after great content DO buy. AdSense pays attention to that.
5. Content SEO is very different from "traditional" SEO
- Most AdSense users run content sites. Just a fact. But many content site owners don't realize that traditional SEO does not quite apply to content sites. Content SEO is very different from the SEO advice you see on all the typical SEO sites. Unless the person is specifically referring to content SEO, take the advice with a large amount of consideration. And I won't be cryptic. Content SEO is very much based in latent semantics, in teaching search engines about how your articles work together through intelligent internal linking and user engagement statistics - like how far down on the page a user gets before they leave a page. Don't take SEO advice from people trying to get ecom sites to rank. 2 different animals.
I am in the lifestyle space. I cater to a mostly older audience with a healthy dose of younger audience. It is mostly an affluent audience but a fickle one. 60% of my traffic now comes to the site through mobile devices. There you go, my whole secret formula laid out.