Over the past few days I've had the pleasure of finding
- thousands of links pointing to my site that render 404 errors because the pages don't exist
- hundreds of links pointing to my sites junk pages(login, privacy, profiles) that have noindex tags
- my content on this spam domain which features adult content and my images hotlinked on the same pages
- links on the spam site pointing to other spam sites, all doing the same
- links pointing to pages with variations in my urls
- other stuff I'm sure I missed.
Now, I do have canonical tags in place and seem to be handling each incoming link properly and it *looks* like this is having no effect on my site right now, even my images are still in google images, but it is disconcerting a little. If they were to boost the pagerank to the spam site it might become a problem, theoretically.
Is this where the disavow tool might be useful or would you ignore it? I haven't used the disavow tool yet, I'm not sure what to really expect from it.