I recently did some research about some point of sale gear required by government to collect tax revenue and was fairly surprised to see that the first 78 Google results were to only 11 different sites and all 78 results featured the exact same public release statement, all of them.
- Blogs that discussed the release were not ranked in the top 78
- Forums were nowhere to be found
- interpretive reporting and opinions were not found on any of the pages
- 95% of the articles either did not allow or did not have comments
- no social networks were featured though the issue is discussed in each of them
I'm going to assume that these 11 sites had enough authority to be able to post 100% duplicate content and still rank, since that's the end result, but my question is - how can I tell if my site has enough authority to get away with publishing a press release which is pure duplicate content, and still rank?
It's a chicken and egg thing, I don't want to do harm to my own rankings trying it out but if it is accepted from my site my readers may want to read the releases too, any suggestions?