joined:May 16, 2011
I've a website which has been dropped in the SERPs on 12 May. My traffic surged a lot in Panda 1 and Panda 2 both updates.
My whole website is built on only unique content and gradual link building. I've many #1 positions which are now all lost. My daily traffic has dropped from 5000 visitors a day to 200 visitors a day.
Some things :
1. My site is a Wordpress site and had tags and duplicate subpages (like abc.com/page/2). I've gotten rid of them and blocked google from accessing them.
2. I'm checking whole site for duplicate content and replacing any duplicate content with fresh one.
3. I'm adding new content and fresh backlinks to the site like I've always been doing. None of my posts are short than 1000 unique words.
4. I'm doing everything to make sure that there is no duplicate content across my site and even If a scrapper site has copied my content, I'm replacing mine with new one and turning off RSS feed so that scrappers can't crawl me that easily and quickly.
I'm not afraid of Panda in anyway because I'm not doing anything wrong. This is something I believe. If you've more suggestions to improve my approach, I'll be happy to take honest advise from you.
What I'm thinking about the dramatically fallen SERPs ? Here is my take on this :-
1. First of all, I believe my site has not been hit by panda. Its something else.
2. None of my backlinks have gone anywhere and I'm viewing this incident just as google dance and believe things will come back.
3. Google WMT is not showing any backlinks for my website.
4. My site serps are bouncing like crazy. From #70 to #40. Then to #65. Then to #56 and this is making me mad. Feels like Google is updating their index or re-assessing my website and/or its backlinks?
Finally, duplicate content can't hurt us because there are lots of variables involved in high SERPs ranking. This is from Google's website about duplicate content (Google posted this after the Farmer Update)
If you find that another site is duplicating your content by scraping (misappropriating and republishing) it, it's unlikely that this will negatively impact your site's ranking in Google search results pages. If you do spot a case that's particularly frustrating, you are welcome to file a DMCA request to claim ownership of the content and request removal of the other site from Google's index.
I would love to hear what you think about my situation. Do you think I've been penalized? Although I've been in the biz for quite some time but learning never ends.
Let me know what you think guys and thanks for reading this long post.