Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Sites hotlinking my images had priority. But there were reports about the search engine. So I was patient.
Checking my website, I noticed that articles written 3 months ago, are not indexed.
Articles written 5 months ago, don't have cache version on Google for no reason.
Articles written years ago, when I check the text (to see if Google puts me as the original author)... shows another website (with PR0) as "source"... and my site is not shown at all.
The main change I noticed is that my site had PR5, and internal pages had PR4 and 3.... now I have PR3, and internal pages have 1 and 0... the ones that have zero, dissapeared from Google.
But since I lost PR, I think that I'm being less indexed. Or is it maybe because I have tons of webpages.
1. I have noticed that Google Webmasters allow you to change how fast your site can be indexed. I switched to FAST.
2. I have noticed that links posted on main page (PR3) are being indexed. I'm going to start indexing all my articles from main page.
3. Articles (from 2nd site, which has not lost visitors)... articles that I mentioned having issues with google cache, are articles I changed the name structure... I put so many -s and the url is too long... so it-may-look-spammy or the filename is very long.
Still, I find it odd that in some old pages, with good file names, and good visit trend.. when copy pasting the text and searching it on Google, my page does not appear...
Or in my main site, where pages had PR0, and used to bring traffic from Google Images.... even when I search for "keyword", other pages stealing or hotlinking my images appear...
I also noticed lately, that images from my site, when searching for them (name + name of my site) appears on Google Images, but linked to a blogger who linked the image in his site.
Also, that most of my internal pages, that now has PR0 are mostly non existant.
Third, since I have tons and tons of pages, Google cannot index me or don't pay much attention to my pages like in the past.
I have noticed 2 posts around about 2 big sites being dropped. Is this sudden? From one time to another, very large sites has become... the devil?
I ask because today, my ranking dropped in a keyword I had for 4 years. So I lost another 10% of my visits. When searching for text from the internal pages (3rd jump from the main page) on Google, the middle pages (2nd jump) appear, but not the internal ones. Even with old pages.
I'm considering dropping the tons of pages I have (individual images) and have much lesses pages... will it fix something?
So avoid jumping into any change just because it "might" help with Google in some imprecise way - be detailed and exact in your analysis and planning. There are a lot of good thread to studys in the Hot Topics area [webmasterworld.com], which is always pinned to the top of this forum's index page. It's a good resource, and it includes lots of input from some very experienced members.
- PR is not so important for Google ranking. A page optimized with PR0 can outweight a page with PR3/4 in Google search results.
- However, PR is important for indexing. The higher your PR, the more pages Google will consider.
I had tons and tons of pages listed from page 2 or 3, and they were indexed with no problem (when I had PR5).
Now that I have PR3, and most internal pages connected from homepage, have PR1. The rest of pages have PR0.
What I did was to create an article_sitemap page, and I linked it from main page (and other pages). Hope that my articles get to be noticed again, a bit.