Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: Robert Charlton & andy langton & goodroi

Message Too Old, No Replies

Does Google have problems indexing non-Latin UTF-8?

5:54 am on Feb 11, 2009 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Apr 21, 2003
posts: 73
votes: 0


I'm running few sites in many non-latin languages such as Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.

I'm using unicode UTF-8 for all site including English and Latin language such as French, German, etc. See below...

<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

I noticed lately that indexed page in Google for all of my Non-latin character (Asian) dropped slowly since October 2008 until now.

I tried to sort out the reason of causing that drop, the only thing that I found right now is the characters of language on all dropped sites were all Non-latin character.

So I'd like to know if Google has problem indexing Non-latin character site that are using UTF-8 unicode?

Anyone come across this? Thanks in advance for any comment.

8:16 am on Feb 11, 2009 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member tedster is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:May 26, 2000
votes: 0

I'm not aware of any problems with non-Latin characters historically, and certainly not anything new.

I'd think someone would have brought up the topic in our Asia-Pacific forum [webmasterworld.com] if something went wrong - and we have several mods who operate Asian websites.

My feeling is that you will need to look to other areas to understand your ranking drops.

8:45 am on Feb 11, 2009 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Apr 21, 2003
votes: 0

Thanks tedster, actually ranking for each site are not drop but it's indexed pages that I'm being aware of.

I always substract the supplemental result from total number of pages indexed since we had supplemental index problem few years back, and still substract since then. And the number that dropping slowly are numbers after I substracted.

I always check total number by using...

1. site:www.mydomain.com

and substract supplemental result by using...

2. site:www.mydomain.com/*

However, someone in the forum told me to use this one instead...

3. site:/www.mydomain.com

Number 2 and 3 gave different reuslt, so I'm now confuse which one should I use and if the command operator for substract supplemental result is still working.