Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Hope someone would have any idea what to do.
We are running a website focusing on several geo-targeted subject. The site ranked well (1-10) for its main keywords.
It is need to be mentioned that the domain is about 15 years old. A static website (only html) was running on it for years. Early this year we launched a new (dynamic) website with brand new content but we have not removed the old static pages as they had some good rankings. The only thing what we did is to put banners on the old pages telling the visitors that the whole website had been renewed and also put links pointing to the new site corresponding page. As a result the new website and the new pages got PR and also good rankings, while the old pages started to loose positions (due to the homepage was never linked them).
Some days ago we started to loose traffic (today 50% is gone). I thought it is due to an update or maybe a penalty (what would be very strange because we do only white-hat SEO - even no link exchange). The strange thing was that I was still able to find the old pages around 40-70 but not the new pages (what were rank usually in the top 10). So a lot of pages disappeared from the SERPs but they are still in the index and still having PR.
After some investigation I have found some strange pages in the SERP for some keywords we had good rankings. These pages are the complete copy of our website. The website now can be found on an address like:
...and a lot of subpages of our site can be found there two.
And this site even got rankings for keywords while the original site cannot be found for the same keywords.
This copy of our website is running on chinese server and we have no control over it of course.
Anyone get any idea what can we do with this? Until now I was not sure if this is what effecting our rankings, but I am pretty sure now.
Thanks for any suggestion!
[edited by: tedster at 2:46 pm (utc) on Dec. 23, 2008]
[edit reason] de-link the example url [/edit]
Whether this is a true clone - with files that always reside on the other server - or some kind of proxy server hijack [webmasterworld.com] is an open question. But what is certain is that Google doesn't want to bump the original site out of the SERPs, and yjat seems to be happening in more than one case.
You might also want to try some of the other suggestions for reaching Google that we list in the Hot Topics area [webmasterworld.com], which is always pinned to the top of this forum's index page. And check out the proxy hijack link above for more information, too.