Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Iím working on a new site which has multiple categories, and Iím not sure should I have a subdomain for each top level category I should I keep everything on one domain? What are the pros and cons in terms of google optimization?
My thoughts are.
- Multiple subdomains may take longer to index and get pr
- Also having all pages on one site will give the site more weight?
- More work for me
- On the other hand having a subdomain for each separate topic makes the site more structured
- Visitors are presented only with information they were searching for (although they will be able to go to the main site and browse other categories)
- Possibility of multiple odp listings?
What are your thoughts? Am I missing anything?
But I would still weigh both choices in any practical situation. This is somethig many clients ask me about. Mny times they are carried away with the potential for seeing many subdomains on the same search results. That is NOT a good reason for using subdomains, in my view.
Except for something like a basic company name search, discretely segmented subdomains would not likely be targeting the same keyword niches. If they are, you probably shouldbe using directories on the same domain.
Would the anchor text on the subdomain carry more weight perhaps than the directory? Also, on a side note, I once heard that using the actual word "blog" in your URL can be iffy. Any thoughts on that?