Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
So...because we run a very delicate system there has been a policy of setting up sub domains for all the peripheral sites surrounding this sumo sized site, so the golden goose does'nt get broken by anyone
- I can't have megasite.com/mylittle_subfolder/ but I can have subdomain.megasite.com/my_content/
- I can have
> the only clean link from the front page of megasite.com to subdomain.megasite.com/my_content/
> I can set up a robots.txt file
> I can set up an alternate link i.e. <LINK rel="Start" title="Go to place with readable content" type="text/html" href="http://subdomain.megasite.com/my_content/">
- And I can clear out all the meta tags from megasite.com, making it a completely white sheet for the engines (apart from the above)
- By the way all the inbound links run into megasite.com/
I guess I'm thinking of a cloaking synario i.e. home page for users and subdomain for google > then users
a pipe running from the front page through to my sub domain that google runs straight through - almost like 301 rdirect without the users who land on megasite.com/ being redirected the subdomain
So the main question is:
- how do I get google and others to rank my humble subdomain as though it were megasite.com (the place where the backlinks are going to).
- Would a combination of an alternate link, clean visible link, robot.txt doing some clever stuff do the job?
The other synario is where I tag the front page up, discretly add 1 sentence with my big ticket KW's and a clean link to my subdomain in a search visible part of the site.
Any good ideas?