Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 107.21.149.142

Forum Moderators: open

Message Too Old, No Replies

Redundant tags in Dreamweaver

     
2:31 pm on Nov 20, 2000 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member marcia is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Sept 29, 2000
posts:12095
votes: 0


Is there any way to avoid the font tag redundancies in Dreamweaver 2 - it's a LOT to fix by hand.

TIA

5:10 pm on Nov 20, 2000 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:Sept 21, 1999
posts:2141
votes: 0


Using Commands>Clean Up HTML Dreamweaver will combine multiple nested tags ie

<font size="1"><font color="red">text</font></font> becomes
<font size="1" color="red">text</font>

and empty tags are removed. The command does other cleanup too. It isn't perfect but reduces the hand editing dramatically.

9:47 pm on Nov 20, 2000 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member tigger is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:July 16, 2000
posts:3558
votes: 0


maybe a daft question, but why would you need to do this ?
9:56 pm on Nov 20, 2000 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member marcia is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Sept 29, 2000
posts:12095
votes: 0


There's duplicate tags for even one word. One for font face, another for font size, sometimes another for font color. Very sloppy, heavy code, and if one is removed, it's hard to keep track and make sure the closing tags are removed, too.

For each bit of text there can be two or three sets of font tags, which adds up with bolding and all.

Example: one set for color surrounding contact webmaster: another set for color surrounding the email address. Another two sets for font size.

Dave, I just tried it for cleaning up redundant tags, and they're still there. Four sets of font tags where there should be one. Yuk!

Is this remedied in Dreamweaver 3 or 4? It would be worth the upgrade just for this.

Edited by: Marcia

9:59 pm on Nov 20, 2000 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member nffc is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:June 22, 2000
posts:3604
votes: 0


I use the find and replace fuction, replacing with nothing. You can do this sitewide or page by page.
12:50 am on Nov 21, 2000 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:Sept 21, 1999
posts:2141
votes: 0


Marcia - I'm using 3.01 and the code is nice and clean...
4:29 am on Nov 21, 2000 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:Sept 21, 1999
posts:2141
votes: 0


Marcia - More on Dreamweaver 3.01.
Commands>Clean Up HTML has an option w/this version to "Combine nested font tags when possible" and it works reliably as described earlier.

I did some testing and found that the Clean Up command deletes <font something></font> but doesn't delete <font something> </font> for example. DW does have a habit of leaving the second example behind more often then I'd like when editing. The clean up is limited but still useful. I've been using DW for so long I don't notice many of the quirks anymore I guess.

1:13 am on Nov 22, 2000 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member marcia is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Sept 29, 2000
posts:12095
votes: 0


Dave, I've had Dreamweaver for quite a while, but haven't used it much except for playing around with layouts, especially when making graphics. It's a great aid for "creativity." I've pretty much stuck with a text or HTML editor so I'm used to having full control over the code.

I've never worked with "sites" only pages - never really gotten into the program much. I've started using DW a bit more recently, and it is sooo convenient, I'm getting a little spoiled.

This might be a good time to fire up the old P133 with the 33.6 winmodem again and download the latest issue of Netscape 3 for testing - and start using external stylesheets. I almost always use same font face and size, so I could re-use it, and then use find and replace if there was anything different.