Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Forum Moderators: open
A breakdown of brand=Body%20Tone :
Variable = brand
Contents = Body%20Tone
I would ditch the %20 in your strings and use something like Body-Tone or Body+Tone but that is just a suggestion. You could also ditch the variable strings and clean up your URLs with mod_rewrite.
RewriteRule ^brand\/(.*).html /_shopByBrand.aspx?brand=$1 [L]
I have been told that instead of using mod_rewrite, you can use something similar if you are running on IIS. Can anyone confirm/ elaborate on this?
My original message might have been a bit confusing.
www.site.com/brand/Body-Tone.html which does not exist on the server, calling the 404 page.
The 404 page would then take the "brand/Body-Tone" out of the URL and treat them as if they were "?brand=Body-Tone".
I hope that clears it up.
FYI - I have done similar things in e-commerce sites. What I would usually do is have the catagory page with no querystring and the product pages with the querystring. Something like:
This made a major difference in the speed that the pages that were crawled and indexed by Google and other SE's. The catagory pages were crawled and indexed almost immediatley, while the product pages were eventually also crawled and indexed, but at least a month (if not more) later.
Something to think about.
From what I remember it is against the TOS to post the URL so you may want to edit it. As it is an informational link (at least partially) you may want to ask one of the forum moderators to allow it.
I soon noticed that GB would no longer index my content. So I found the "slash-separated parameters" solution on this forum, and my urls presently look like :
Now, on the day I set up the modified program, I recorded *several hundred* GB hits. GB activity has now come to a more normal rate, but only the sitemap (main entry point) gets indexed...
Don't use "id=" even if it's not a session ID, there is a very good chance Google won't crawl it. I had several pages that used "id=" on one of my sites and Google wouldn't crawl them for over a year. I changed the "id=" to something else, and Google crawled them the next day.