Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Forum Moderators: open
Counter address example:
That's not a real warm development. I hope it's temporary. It means constantly editing cut and pasted urls.
serp source excerpt:
<a href=/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.webmasterworld.com/&e=1416 ><b>WebmasterWorld</b> News and discussion for the independent web <b>...</b> </a><br>
[edited by: Brett_Tabke at 9:29 am (utc) on Nov. 6, 2002]
[edit added: even so...] So - Google is only counting US users.
There are a few commercial reasons why this makes sense,
1) Without this data they don't know the average number of sites a user clicks on from a page of search results
2) With this data they can see how much less (or more?) effective adwords are than real listings
3) They can probably count partner sites as well, allowing them to charge the likes of lesser beings than yahoo of a results orientated basis if they chose.
4) Like Direct Hit did, they can give busy sites a boost - bummer for using multiple URLs, great for best of breeds in any given sector.
5) If they are also checking the IP of each "clicker" they can spot people that might, when all is done and dusted, be clicking in the vain hope of promoting their own site up the listings.
I bet there are more reasons that people can think of...
Give me more blue chip customers, I might need them.
This all gives me an uneasy feeling about the future of Google. You've seen as much as I have that search engines are capable of doing the dumbest of things.
Thanks for the source. Brett. That is certainly not what we see in UK.
&start=1 <- this bit
I think with the bleaching of the adwords and a start Position for the serps it would be easy to inject the adwords or overture or ink into google serps for people like yahoo or myway
Brett have you seen any results that don't follow the start-1,2,3,4, order
Furthermore, when I make a search like "DCR-PC101 specifications" without quotes, in the url addresses showed under the site description there is a surplus blank space, so If you make cut&paste of the url, the page shows an error because of this blank space (instead of www.domain.com/directory/page you see www.domain.com/[blank space]directory/page).