Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
Forum Moderators: open
I have always been under the impression that searching site:widget.com would return all pages that have been indexed in G, however, when I do this search, I do not see my home page. The home page IS in the SERPs. Is it because I have no links going to widget.com/index.html? All links pointing to my site go to just widget.com and it seems that none of the links go to sub directories.
Another question, and I am sorry if this has been brought up before, but I have a forum on the site. In the title tag, I have the topic for each post. Out of hundreds of pages of posts, I get about 20% of the forum in the index. Can I expect over time to have all the forum indexed? What I find very strange is that this does not seem to be age related. Some of the pages are new and some are old. And why one page is picked and another is not has me baffled.
And one more related to this. Out of the 20% that are in the SERPs, only about 20% of those actually show the title of the page in the SERPs, the other 80% show just the URL. Is this a problem? Will all the pages eventually show the title? There seems to be no reason why some pages show the title and some do not. It doesn't seem to be an age thing again. Some old pages show titles, some do not. Same with the new pages.
I am concerned about this because it would be great if people could search for the topic of the thread. Granted, it is a fairly narrow topic, but I get daily reports from around the state on this topic. Usually dated to keep the data up-to-date and relevant. On the pages that show just the url with no title, when I do an exact search, I get no results. So obviously, Google is not picking up all the information on these pages, just the URL.
Any answers or comments are welcome!
Funny, I search my money phrases and the site pops up about between 80 and 150 in the returns -- right to my home page. The homepage is cached. It shows a PR of 4. All indications are that it is there, just not when I use site:.
It is not unusuall to see the URL only without title or description.
It has been discussed with over 300+ posts a few months ago.
One thing I noticed is that forum sites do not get the correct titles and descriptions. IMO, it is the duplicate filter. Many forum scripts use the templates to render the layout and share same codes over and over again. So, many of the posts will be regarded by SEs "SAME" as others due to lack of differences of content. If you get 20% of pages up, you are lucky. I get only less than 10% of my topics indexed with correct titles and descriptions. If you have URL only titles, they cannot be searched from the content and thus cannot rank at all.
You can either take out the template codes somehow or something similar to reduce the same codes from each page. I haven't tried mod-rewrite to have static html pages for the forums I have. I am not 100% sure if it will help for this title/description issues (although I think it will help depending on the application. I just didn't have time/incentive to use mod_rewrite yet.)
I was wrong in a previous post. When I search for...
site:mysite.com "unique phrase" I get my home page but when I search just...
site:mysite.com, my home page does not exist.
So back to my original question. I thought that using the site: tag was supposed to list all the pages that are indexed. Obviously, since my home page is missing, this is not the case. I also noticed that I can find different pages that are not listed with the site: tag by changing the unique phrase.
Is there another or a fool-proof way to return ALL the pages that are indexed for a particular site?
When I use site:mysite.com
I am getting 187 results, none of which include my homepage and some of the other pages.
When I use site:mysite.com "unique phrase"
My homepage shows up along with a couple of other pages, some which are not in site:mysite.com.
When I use site:mysite.com phrase
My homepage shows up along with a couple of different pages, some which are not in site:mysite.com.
When I use site:mysite.com -poiwuerpoiuqwer
I get the same results as site:mysite.com.
My question is, what can I use to show all my pages that are in the SERPs. It seems that everything I try gives me a different result.
Of course, you can also try to use the allinurl command. However, in this case the search is not restricted to your site.
Do you see your home page when searching for site:yoursite.com yoursite?