Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Forum Moderators: open
I am not sure if this is the sandbox effect that I am seeing.
I recently modified my dynamic site (initially launched in sep 2003)
to make it search engine friendly with mod_rewrite. Approx after 10 days googlebot crawled close to 100 pages and the same got indexed a couple of days thereafter.
Earlier i.e. before I did mod_rewrite, there were only a few pages that were indexed. Also the PR was and still is 4.
The other differece that I have noted is that earlier googlebot visited only the homepage daily, now it visits 6 pages daily.
For a few keywords, not too competitive I turn out okay on the first or the second page. But for the keyphrases for which I would really like to rank, I am nowhere. When I add -adsdas (many times to cross the 10 word limit) I turn up on the first page.
Could this be the 'sandbox effect' since the number of links to the site increased suddenly due to simultaneuos indexing of 100 pages (the footer containing all the main links)?
Do I have any hope of being on the first page or could the -addsda characters be switching off other relevant filters?
Another observation, is that after the indexing of the pages, the home page title for which I ranked number 1, I moved down to number 4. But with the -saddsa characters I am number one again. There are around 450,000 total competing pages for the title.
Your help in analysing the results would be appreciated.
It's like they "arrive" at the airport - get included in the index - but are hovering in a "holding pattern" before being allowed to "land" - to turn up in the SERPs for their keywords.
Changes to sites would make changes in how they're meeting the various criteria for scoring.
>>for the keyphrases for which I would really like to rank, I am nowhere. When I add -adsdas (many times to cross the 10 word limit) I turn up on the first page.
I've got the same thing with one site. #1 for the keywords with -asdfg up to the ten word limit, noplace to be found otherwise. That site got hit with Florida and what caused it hasn't yet been corrected - and might not be.
jaina, do you have a decent number of unafilliated sites linking to you that are on-topic?
Thanks for you replies.
I hope my site falls in the category as suggested by wanderingmind
>>Changes to sites would make changes in how they're meeting the various criteria for scoring.
Would that mean the extra -sdasds characters are returning not only pre-sandboxed results but also results with other filters off.
>>jaina, do you have a decent number of unafilliated sites linking to you that are on-topic?
Google shows only 8 backlinks for my site but these are all on-topic. This is giving me a PR4. But the anchor text in these links do not contain the keyphrase I am trying to rank for.
But, if I search only for my domain (which is unique) 277 results are returned. These increased from around 170 after the indexing. The extra listings do contain the desired anchor.
Also for this keyphrase if I do an
allintext: I am no 8/ out of 3,700,000
allinurl: I am no 1/197
allintitle: I am 6/1770
but nothing with the normal search.
Forget Google's backlinks - keep adding backlinks, and indications are that these new backlinks are being counted, though not showing up when u search for them.
Anchortext in them is definitely good from what I have seen.
Again, keep tinkering with the pages of your site. MINOR tinkering. I have seen that helps slightly. Add a plural, remove a synonym, add it again etc. (The constant tinkering will keep googlebot visiting ur site everyday, giving u a freshdate, makes it think your site is quite active, and speeds up deepcrawls. If u have a high PR site u may not need to do this)
Anchortext in new links - exactly what I have done, and helping out too.
Best of luck.
If I am in the box is there something that could be done to get out fast, two months is a rather long time.
>>Again, keep tinkering with the pages of your site. MINOR tinkering. I have seen that helps slightly. Add a plural, remove a synonym, add it again etc.
I do that every second literally :). I print out the time with the seconds on each page. I hope this is enough change for the googlebot to keep coming back daily.