Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: open
I sent her Google IP address to try - and the "flash" did not happen.
For KWs in our nieche the same five sites were being flashed into the top 5. She sent me a couple of screen shots - and these are diffinetly not sponsored results or froogle results. They appear as normal organic listings.
Has anyone else seen this?
If the altering of the original results is detectible to the eye, then I would say that it is really bad scum ware.
More than likely, she'll need to unistall and reinstall IE in order for it to go away.
I checked at work and it does the same thing. When you first bring up IE you can actually see the change. When you go to the next results page (2) you can't see it change.
Still haven't got it off. That's the bad news. Good news is is that when I remove it my site will move up in Google's results ;)
I'll post what finally fixes it.
Your scumware type sounds similiar to the ones that I have removed for users that have had hidden install directories and also dll's that take control of windows explorer. If you remove it wrongly your windows explorer will break. You can still browse with outlook if you have it to find a patch on the internet, or you could use netscape to find an explorer patch. Once you remove it with spybot or shredder next time then don't reboot until you have found the bad dll and install files and removed them permanently. You might check that your spy tools are up to date also with the latest specs. Also, if you use XP or 2000... make yourself a non administrator account to surf the web with that does not have install priviliges. That way you will get a prompt when something tries to install itself.
More practically try checksumming the dlls associated with your browser against the ones on your boot disc ...replace those that aren't at the original size with the ones off the disc "shred the old ones first"...
If you really want to see what the difference is with what youv'e currently got and what it ought to be try running "windiff" or similar at the "paired" dlls before you do this ...
DONT DO THESE THINGS ..if you don't know what you are doing in your register .....
BACK UP YOUR REGISTER FIRST ...( even a wiggy register is better than a "self zapped" register )..
Cant tell you the url ( tos ) ...
But ...search ( with something other than google ...you'll probably get a more relevant result even without the scumware problem if you use another SE at the moment ) ..for "Wormguard" ...
Look around the site in question ....i've installed their stuff in many machines and eveyone now sleeps sound ....
Iv'e got no connection at all with the site etc ...just know their stuff works very well for those who install stuff on their machines without the knowledge to see what its doing on the way in ...
I have updated Ad-aware, spybot, anti-virus and the other 10 scumware proggys (many times).
What really blows is that I'm not a newbie to any of this. Usually takes about 10 mins to find and remove this stuff.
It does not Auto remove but it lists programs that are started automatically and allows you to "CHECK" which ones to remove. Careful some of them are usefull.
I used this for a similar scumware that had 4 or 5 apps running and checking to see if any were removed then installed again if they were gone.
joined:Feb 16, 2004
It was found and I could disable it with BHODemon. When that worked I deleted it with CWShredder.