Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: open
All employees at Google are allowed to spend twenty percent of their time working on personal interests, a policy Google has to encourage creativity. Buyukkokten had an interest in social networking and so developed his service, Google says. Now the company has decided to open it to the public.
The move comes in the wake of rumors that Google wanted to buy social networking service Friendster last year and just a day after Eurekster launched, a social network service that refines search results. Is this a sign that Google plans to use social networking for search?
Then again, I'm also the same guy that thought the Fakesters were the results of immature folks with WAAAAAY too much time on their hands. (after ending up with a useless Friendster 'network' of 50,000 people, all of whom were tangentially connected via Cookie Monster, I pretty much gave up on Friendster)
It's a shame that Orkut's first initial wasn't 'n' or something like that, or it could have had the oh-so-sexy name of "Noogle."
"Hey, Marge, have you been Noogled yet?"
"No, but I heard Betty already has one Noogie and another wannabe Noogler!"
Other names we wish Orkut had been:
- Stan (Stoogle... nah, sounds like a watery bird recipe.)
- Brad (Boogle... but that's just one letter off from a site that Google's lawyers are already abreast of. Minus two points for that one.)
- Walter (Woogle? Uh, nope.)
- Todd (Toogle... three gull, four gull, bay gull... uh, nah.)
- Pat (Poogle? Definitely not. Sounds too... fluffy.)
- Darren (Doogle? As in Doogle Howser, M.D.? Didn't think so.)
- Henry (Hoogle? No, they're saving that for their updated whois function.)
- Jack (Joogle? No, that's a different site that searches the Talmud.)
- Kit (Koogle? That's what my Grandma made AFTER she studied the Talmud. Also, a certain Tim may have a problem with it.)
- Matt (Moogle? Sounds udderly mad!)
- Zack (Zoogle? What the service'll become if it gets too crowded, I suppose.)
Okay, I give up. It's clear that orkut.com is the best choice! :)
[edited by: Jenstar at 5:50 am (utc) on Jan. 30, 2004]