Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
ANY help appreciated!
Dont keep this in our mind that you want to develop this website onto your own.Sometime such deals change the way we live.
Just ask them for how much they wana pay and then decide.
Hope this helps
I would ask yourself what it's worth to you. Also, what you think they'll pay without question.
I agree that they should make the offer, but it will probably be lower that you want it to be.
They are a $20 mil a year companyask to pay you at least 250$ you could bargain with them etc...
But if you're really not using it, and dont care about it just sell it 100$ and I think they'll give it to you without any question.
However I dont know which offer are you really thinking about. But I guess you could get even up to 1000+ from them, just dont set it up to high. If it's too high and they threaten you to take you to the court, still deny them, low the price a bit and finish up.
If they call you again, complaining how the price is too high and that they'll really take you to the court this time just accept their offer, cuz this time they will take you to the court.
IF you really care about this domain, then just offer them your price, not reasonable take it to the court.
Just last week, it was reported at the DN Journal, that a company paid $8900 for the .com of their initials which was 5 letters.
If they don't have a decent domain name for their company, then they could be willing to pay big bucks.
One of our companies turns over £3m per year. We missed out on a domain and made the guy that owned it an offer of £10,000. He countered with £20,000, we settled for £15,000. He was very pleased because £15,000 was a lot of money to him...but we would have paid him up to £100,000...as the name was crucial to our company.
I'll tell them today to make me an offer - lets see what they say!
Has traffic to this domain increased recently? The longer they do this and the more the traffic to your site increases, they more the domain is worth. We have a generic sports domain that got a few hundred visitors a day. Then a cell phone company named themselves this, now the site gets 8000 unique vistors a day!
I'd either take a quick 2k now or hold out for 10k.
Get some content up quickly incase there is an ICANN dispute which you should win because you have had the domain longer than the company has existed.
Something stinks here:
"Hi, we're a $20,000,000 company and we'd like to buy your domain for $8"
1. They are stupid for telling you they are that big unless they are trying to force you to give up the name.
2. They will pay you $2000 easy because that's what it would cost them just to file WIPO.
3. Sounds like they are trying to reverse hijack the domain and your price just doubled. Screw them and make them pay...and they will pay.
Maybe not the Joe Shmo making the first call but they will pay. Try to deal with the boss, the decision maker. If you want $20,000 and Joe Shmo is some low level marketing guy, he can't agree to that price.
Tell them you'll sell but not cheap. Make sure you go through escrow com.
joined:Dec 29, 2003
how sweet. The entire $7-$8? ;) I woudl ask double what you were planning just because of the insult.
Honestly, if they are a 20mil companies you can get big bucks from them. I would say up to $50,000.
Think about it from their perspective.. when they say "I work for Widgetworks" people will automatically go to "widgetworks.com" (which you own). They know this, you know this, so aim high!
Keep us informed!
joined:Dec 29, 2003
You are probably fine trademark wise. If they are suddenly this hot about it, they are definitely willing to pay thousands for the name. Do some more research into the company...how are they a $20million company but still call themselves a startup?
Most importantly, take your time on this one, you have the advantage here....
(this is in regards to yet another takeover by this company!)
" .... said chief executive x, who estimates future revenues for the company will hit $20 million per annum next year as a result of the #*$! takeover.
ps - I've read that this company has taken over about 4-5 other LARGE companies so far....I'm finding a lot of information about them!
You might even decide to be somewhat straight forward as to calling nonsense on their "start-up" status and simply include a link to the article you noted above.
That would save you some time and move them past their pretense. Seems fairly clear they hope you don't have a clue who is contacting you. The absolute silliness of offering registration costs, then writing they hope you're thinking a hundred or two and not more is, or ought to be, rather insulting.
They have a business desire, you have a commodity that you're not required to part with, at any price, and that you can apparently demonstrate a preexisting good faith plan for, as opposed to being labeled an opportunistic name squatter.
No need or you to set the price at this time at all. You'll just as likely set it too low as you would too high, or else they wouldn't be playing the game they've played to date, plain old fashioned low ball.
Good luck whatever your decision.
JMA, but I should post a disclaimer as well! ;-) Good luck.
Added: This whole crap about being a small start-up is complete bull and really amateur. Tell him that their being a small start up is not your problem or concern. He is trying to make it your problem/concern by whining about it, and that's not fair to you.