Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.159.50.111

Forum Moderators: incrediBILL

Message Too Old, No Replies

Help! E-mail clients view of HTML

     
3:23 pm on Sep 5, 2001 (gmt 0)

Full Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Apr 4, 2001
posts:224
votes: 0


I am trying to send out an HTML newsletter, and I am having some problems. The major problem is that Outlook is displaying apostrophes, hyphens, and quotes as a small square block. It is only doing it on some of the hyphens. There are no html errors that I can find.

It is also reading the copyright symbol as parentheses. This is not as big of a deal as the first problem though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

4:18 pm on Sept 5, 2001 (gmt 0)

Full Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Apr 4, 2001
posts:224
votes: 0


Nevermind I fixed both problems.

Oddly enough, the fact that I copied and pasted the text from a Word file made those character display messed up in an Outlook email client. Every other client was fine. Once I just re-edited all those characters they were fine. Very odd!

The copyright was an easy fix, I just had to put in the © symbol. Thanks. :)

5:06 pm on Sept 5, 2001 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member mivox is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Dec 6, 2000
posts:3928
votes: 0


I would assume Word was automatically inserting gramtically correct "curly-quotes" and other 'advanced' punctuation that Outlook couldn't interpret properly, so it was replacing them all with the dreaded "uknown character box."
5:43 pm on Sept 5, 2001 (gmt 0)

Full Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Apr 4, 2001
posts:224
votes: 0


Actually it's very wierd. That is what I assume happened, yet none of that was visible in the source code. I even sent it to one of our best programmers, and he check the code, and saw no problems with it. Yet somehow Outlook was still seeing those 'advanced characters' from Word.

Simply retyping the text into the code normally fixed the problem. Very odd bug. Hopefully this thread will help someone else if they run into the same problem. :)

5:53 pm on Sept 5, 2001 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member mivox is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Dec 6, 2000
posts:3928
votes: 0


Could just be a mysterious manifestation of the fact that MS products are getting a little too tightly integrated for their own good... (IMHO ;) )
2:42 am on Sept 6, 2001 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member tedster is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:May 26, 2000
posts:37301
votes: 0


>> Simply retyping the text into the code normally fixed the problem.

I get a lot of raw content in Word documents, and I run into the same kind of problem. So I've set up a workflow where I do the preliminary HTML markup in Word,(in order to catch intended italics, etc.) and then convert the file to text before I copy and paste into the HTML document.