Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: eljefe3 & skibum

Message Too Old, No Replies

What is a "Traffic Contact"?

Working on an RFP . . .

1:48 am on Jun 16, 2002 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

joined:Feb 14, 2002
votes: 0

Hi. I am working on a Request for Proposal. As part of the information I must supply, I have to provide a traffic contact. Is that just the person in charge of online advertising?
2:04 am on June 16, 2002 (gmt 0)

Senior Member from US 

WebmasterWorld Senior Member fathom is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:May 5, 2002
votes: 109

An assumption - if this RFP is for SEO services, then I would assume it is the person accountable for establishing milestone levels of new or returning visitors from specified search engines.

Beyond this yoour guess is as good as any.

Why not contact the RFP manager and verify their understanding of "Traffic Contact".

It may be dramatically different from any member's insight at this forum.

2:25 am on June 16, 2002 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

joined:Feb 14, 2002
votes: 0

Thanks for the quick reply fathom. It is not for SEO services, it is from a company who is representing a major publisher. I have managed my online advertising up to this point but this seems to be a step up to the major leagues. The requirements are much more detailed than any I have come across before. I think I will have to call them on Monday if I haven't figured it out by then.


4:50 am on June 17, 2002 (gmt 0)

Moderator This Forum

WebmasterWorld Administrator skibum is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Sept 20, 2000
votes: 1

Traffic(k)ing is what the person does who sets up banners, rich media, etc on your side. The end result will be some kind of tag for the media property to insert in their site so that your ad shows up and is tracked if you so choose.

Here's an example. Company X contacts an online ad agency to do some advertising. Agency X contacts some publishers, wheels and deal and comes back with placements/CPM's etc.

Agency X may use a 3rd party ad serving solution like Doubleclick DART or Atlas.

When the deal is worked out and the placements are determined, the trafficker is the person that sets up all the tracking for the banners, text links, rich media stuff, or whatever. Once the trafficker generates all the tags to send to the publisher, the trafficker will normall do a Q/A to ensure the publisher has set everything up correctly and tracking is in place.

Media properties will often have a traffick person on their end who is responsible for implementing tags. Whoever is on your end needs to be able to talk intellegently about the setup technology, and tracking of whatever media you intend to place.

9:53 am on June 17, 2002 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

joined:Feb 14, 2002
votes: 0

Thank you skibum. That clarifies everything up pretty nicely. I actually am not purchasing the ad space but selling it. I guess I was confusing because I said I was talking with a 'publisher'. I meant a book publisher . . . you know those things made from. . .hmmm . . . ah! yes that's the word: paper.

Anybody have an old RFP they wouldn't mind forwarding to me so I can get a better feel for what's expected?