Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: open

Message Too Old, No Replies

Basic unicode like French accents in Flash

Unicode, Multiple Languages, Flash



7:13 pm on Feb 9, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

I'm having some weird issues with unicode when loading an external text file in Flash using LoadVars. I've been through this site and Macromedia's Flash support for unicode, and a couple others, with no luck.

%E7, which in Unicode is "e" with an accent, will show up as nothing (literally, no output) for instance. In fact, all French language characeters do not work.

What really gets me is that other characters, such as inverted exclaimation and "%" sign, show up with their Unicode codes, no problem (%A1 and %25).

I have used Arial, Verdana, Times. Nothing works for the French language characters. I have encoded the text file as UTF-8 and also tried UTF-16. Nothing. I am running Mac OS X.

I'm going nuts.


11:52 pm on Feb 9, 2005 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member whoisgregg is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

Have you tried explicitly going into the text field involved and telling it which glyphs to include? This is done by selecting the text block that will display the characters and clicking:

Properties Window > "Character..." button > Embed font outlines for: [] Specify Ranges > Select the glyphs you expect to use.

A flash file doesn't automatically embed every character of every font included in the file, you have to tell it which ones will be needed.


1:37 am on Feb 11, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Try this code on the first frame of your movie:

System.useCodepage = true;


3:15 pm on Feb 15, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Here's how I fixed it.

I tried setting "Characters..." until I went blue. I read this was the solution on a thread here at webmasterwold and elsewhere. I tried manualing adding "" and "" etc.. to the character list, to no end.

It finally worked when I created a text file UTF-8 encoded, and added the actual glyph myself into the text file with my operating system's language settings:


Then I set "Characters..." in flash to "No Characters". (Why? Because I tried everyhing else!). And now it pops up no problem.

Thanks for the help.


4:14 pm on Mar 5, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

I had the same problem but this works on my
only if I publish as Flash player 6.0

on the property of my dynamic text:
click on "character ..." button
-> specify a range
choose "basic latin (95 glyphs)"
and add this in the textfield "include these characters" :

add more if you need moore special char....


5:16 pm on Mar 6, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

I am sorry I made a mistake ... its not working! ;(

and I dont understand how you solve it ...

more precision?


4:00 pm on Mar 14, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

hyperkut is right... for flash 6 and above.

First off, you should make sure that any text you are grabbing for your dynamic text field (whether through a .txt file or some other server-side scripting such as PHP) is utf-8 encoded - then you must go to your dynamic text field and select "character..." and, in addition to selecting "basic Latin" (or whatever character set you need) enter all the "odd" glyphs you need ( etc...) in the "include these characters" window... publish and it should work.

As a last resort (or first : ) read here : [macromedia.com...]

Hope we's helped : )


Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month