Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
Forum Moderators: open
Is there some setting on my computer that I need to change?
I'll try to help, but I think I'll need to ask a few question first.
1. Does the entire page fail to load or is it the flash movie only?
2. What is the size of the flash movie and the size of the html document?
3. Is your cache full on your browser; you may have to release your temporary internet files to free up some memory.
4. Is there an error in your php code and if not is there a communication problem between your php script and flash?
Sorry if some question seem silly; I'm just trying to get a handle on your problem.
Below are the answers to your questions:
1. Does the entire page fail to load or is it the flash movie only? It's the Flash movie only. First that square with the coloured blocks appears (i.e. the HTML has loaded and it's now going to load the movie). Then the little square disappears and only the HTML text output remains, for ever...eventually I just close the browser window.
2. What is the size of the flash movie and the size of the html document? Flash movie: 1.06 KB; HTML doc: 716 bytes
3. Is your cache full on your browser; you may have to release your temporary internet files to free up some memory. I've just doen a search for *.tmp on my C drive - it came up with exactly 2 files only (set38.tmp and config.tmp). Surely there should be others? Sorry, I'm clued up on quite a few things, but not on how caching and temporary files work.
4. Is there an error in your php code and if not is there a communication problem between your php script and flash? The HTML document that's not loading is not a php document. Once the Flash movie is loaded and the user clicks on a certain button, a PHP file is called. So the problem occurs before PHP comes into the picture.
I tried a reboot, but it doesn't seem to work.
Here's another interesting (but annoying situation):
I test an HTML doc which contains a Flash movie. Everything works as I want it to work. Then I make changes to the Actionscript code, resave the *.swf file. But when I run these documents, often by pressing F5 for refresh, nothing happens. (?!?!?!? frustration!) Until I realized that the browser is loading the old swf file.
So I started adding a colour block to the Flash movie. Each time I make changes to the code, I change the colour of the block. If the browser loads the movie with the wrong colour, I know it's loading the old file. Close browser, open again, type in "http..etc" again, and get new Flash movie with correct coloured block to run.
So it seems as if there is something wrong with the cache?
Temporary internet files are the files which are downloaded to your computer when you visit a web page. That means all .html, .css, .gif, .jpg, .swf files plus anything else that is required for the web page to be displayed.
The amount that is stored locally on your computer depends on the size of your cache and, at least in IE, the default size is quite large.
This is the reason that when you refresh the page you get the old file. You can set your browser to search for new files either each time you visit the page or each time you start your browser ( which seems to be the setting you have on ).
If the "coloured block" is disappearing it seems the .swf is loading, but something is prohibiting it from being displayed properly.
Short of posting the .fla I really don't know what that problem is. I assume it compiles correctly?
Are you using scenes or is the first frame blank with a stop() command?
When testing embedded files in an html on a remote server I always have the Temporary Internet Files folder open so I can maually delete the appropiate files as needed and then when you hit refresh after a new upload to the server I know for certain that I am getting the newer file because since I deleted it myself I know that it has to be re-downloaded. Regardless, I have my cache set very low all the time.
I think you are spot on about the cache, and having the Temporary Internet Files folder open - I'm going to do that from now on. Haven't had too much chance to work again, but I suspect that when I apply your methods, my problem will probably disappear.
BTW, I'm using Internet Explorer 6.
Thanks for the help. :-)
Just another note to tell you that I found my mistake, and as usual, it's a really dumb, silly mistake....
In the html code, where the Flash movie is specified, the code reads:
<embed src="moviename1.swf" ....etc
I had changed the movie name, but only did it in the top line. The new code looked like this:
<embed src="moviename1.swf" ....etc
So param name was specifying moviename2, and embed src was specifying moviename1, so no wonder...
Just thought I'd put this here in case it ever helps someone else.