Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.92.153.90

Forum Moderators: incrediBILL

Once Again, Survey Proves Passwords Are Still Weak

     
11:13 am on May 24, 2018 (gmt 0)

Administrator from GB 

WebmasterWorld Administrator engine is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:May 9, 2000
posts:25376
votes: 707


A new study from Department of Computer Science, Virginia Tech, has highlighted the weakness in passwords used by people.
It won't come as a surprise that people still use "qwerty" and "123456"

The research used a password guessing algorithm, and most of you won't be surprised to know that 46.5% of of passwords were guessed within 100 attempts.

To measure the number of vulnerable password pairs, we use the 0.1%-trained model to guess the rest 99.9% of the password pairs.
Since we guess both directions, the testing data essentially has 14 million passwords. Within 10 attempts, we guessed 30% (4.2 million passwords) 3.8 million password pairs are cracked for at least one direction. Together with the identical password pairs (12.8 million), over 16.6 million pairs can be cracked within 10 attempts.


Here's the paper (PDF) [people.cs.vt.edu...]
11:24 am on May 24, 2018 (gmt 0)

Moderator from US 

WebmasterWorld Administrator keyplyr is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:Sept 26, 2001
posts:11789
votes: 742


I once let users choose their own username and password. You should see some of the lame choices people tried.

I now issue both username (has to be their email) & password to them.
 

Join The Conversation

Moderators and Top Contributors

Hot Threads This Week

Featured Threads

Free SEO Tools

Hire Expert Members