Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 107.20.104.110

Forum Moderators: open

Message Too Old, No Replies

problems with Flash and Dreamweaver CS3

     
7:34 pm on Jan 18, 2008 (gmt 0)

New User

5+ Year Member

joined:Jan 18, 2008
posts: 1
votes: 0


I want to add an .swf file to a website I made using Dreamweaver CS3. First I added a new layer using the "Draw AP Div" button then I added the .swf inside the layer. When I preview the webpage in my browser it looks fine, but when I view the page on the internet the .swf file does not appear at all. There is an error on the page, that says "Object Expected."

In the past I used Dreamweaver 4 and I would follow these same steps to add flash to my websites and it always worked. this is my first time trying it with Dreamweaver CS3.

Even if I just make a blank page with one swf on it as a test, the swf does not show up at all when I view the page over the internet using IE 6.

Also, I used Dreamweaver CS3 to open an old page that I made with Dreamweaver 4. I saved the page using Dreamweaver CS3 and then uploaded it and now the flash elements are missing. Help!

[edited by: tedster at 7:58 pm (utc) on Jan. 18, 2008]
[edit reason] no personal urls, thanks [/edit]

8:10 pm on Jan 22, 2008 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member suzyuk is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Oct 1, 2002
posts:5199
votes: 0


H canada, and welcome to WebmasterWorld!

can you check the source code?

if so, is the swf file being embedded using both <object> and <embed>?

I don't use DW, but I last time I looked it was pretty compliant and if so it may have dropped using the <embed> element, and again as far as I know IE still needs this

are you able to view it in a non-IE browser to check if the .swf is appearing in other browsers

[edited by: SuzyUK at 8:11 pm (utc) on Jan. 22, 2008]

2:09 am on Feb 18, 2008 (gmt 0)

New User

5+ Year Member

joined:Feb 18, 2008
posts: 2
votes: 0


I'm so glad I found this post! I'm having the exact same problem and I am using both <object> and <embed>, I'm publishing a swf file and everything is checking out when I preview in browser but it won't come up on the web. Anyone who can give some advice? Thanks!
2:26 pm on Feb 18, 2008 (gmt 0)

New User

5+ Year Member

joined:Feb 18, 2008
posts:2
votes: 0


I figured it out! The code: /Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js was indicating that AC_RunActiveContent.js was contained in a folder, but I had taken it out of the folder and put it in at the root level. I removed the /Scripts from the code and it works!
10:30 am on Apr 9, 2008 (gmt 0)

New User

5+ Year Member

joined:Apr 9, 2008
posts:1
votes: 0


I had a similar problem but I'm not 100% sure if this was what sorted it.

Code indicated the AC_RunActiveContent.js was in a folder called Scripts on my hard drive so I created a similar folder on the server to upload the file to but after many days with video not working and searching the web for a solution I noticed the folder on the server was named in all lower case, eg scripts.

I renamed the folder on my hard drive to the all lower case letters and deleted the AC_RunActiveContent.js file, loaded html file back into Dreamweaver CS3 and saved the file again.

Uploaded the html file to the server and the new AC_RunActiveContent.js to the new scripts folder and everything seems to work fine.

Hope this helps.

 

Join The Conversation

Moderators and Top Contributors

Hot Threads This Week

Featured Threads

Free SEO Tools

Hire Expert Members