Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
Forum Moderators: incrediBILL
Of course FF hadn't been closed in days and I had run all sorts of stuff, but they have some real issues with associating resources to specific tabs and performing cleanup.
What I've been told is that FF Add-Ons can actually cause some of the resource leaking problems and I think that's about the lamest excuse I've ever heard, but it's possible.
Easy way to find out some day, let's dump all the add-ons and see if it's still leaking resources :)
It's definately Facebook though, and only sometimes. I'll visit the FB page, and if I get one of those CPU-to-the-roof hangs, the mixer will always be DOA.
However I can report, it's not just FB, I noticed it more and more since recently joining Twitter, but it's also not just Twitter either - I've been visiting/learning/browsing a lot of these fancy-doody Ajax sites and some of them just set the CPU off into overdrive. Last night I shut down FF and it took nearly 25 minutes to shut down properly and then reload :(
I used to only shut FF down once or twice a week, regularly having 30-40 tabs open.. these last few months it got steadily worse until this week was having to reboot it once or twice a day even if only 5-10 tabs open!
Don't know if it will help any, but I've now split up my profiles and have removed all my web dev add-ons (including Firebug) to a separate profile as I know they are a culprit at times, and this morning just surfing with Twitter and WebmasterWorld open with only related add-ons on this profile, it's better so far, but still prone to locking up for minute or so, especially on opening an Ajaxy/development/design site, and I'm keeping them to one at a time.. grrr
I'll see how the rest of the day goes to see if the leaks build up as quickly
let's dump all the add-ons and see if it's still leaking resources :)
Am now in a process of testing each Add-On a week at a time to discover the culprit(s). So far, NoScript + British English Dictionary are clear. Web Developer is next.
Currently, FF v3.0.10 + NoScript + Dict is typically ~100,000 kB. That seems high to me, but the point is that it does not continually creep upwards.
The add-ons under suspicion, waiting to be tested, are:
This could very well be your issue. It's the first thing I turn off after installing the JRE. Also, in your windows installation(s) if you look into your Add/Remove programs and you have more than one version in there, uninstall all of them. Grab the latest version/download of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Sun/Java and load from scratch. Next, follow the instructions in this thread to turn off java quickstart [webmasterworld.com].
I never let Java do it's own update either. I allow it to check and tell me if a newer version is available for download and then follow the same procedure. Uninstall the old version, download and install the new version and then turn off the quickstart.
Reason: on PC's used for workplace java applications the earlier 1.x and 2.x versions of JRE might be required. Their absence breaks some applications. I've seen it personally with some Compaq/HP and Dell management apps.
firefox ... memory problems ... I had just two add-ons installed - the webmaster toolbar and firebug
I've still got `YSlow' to test, but it looks like this wretched memory bug either comes from a different source, or that recent updates have fixed it.
Disabled on my system before + after.
After a *very* long test of Firebug--with no problems--YSlow was re-enabled on Fri Jul 24 as the final item to check. Within an hour or so, with 10 tabs opened, all the old symptoms returned. Mem usage was 300,000 MB, which is 200,000 MB more than before. I disabled it this afternoon and everything is hunky-dory again:- after an hour, 12 tabs and 90,000 MB.
These are the current versions:
Assuming that FF 3.5 must be thoroughly debugged by now I upgraded to it.
Lordy, but all the old symptoms reappeared (delays, slow scroll-bar... everything indicating low memory/continual paging to hdd). This time Task Monitor did NOT indicate any problems. FF Safe Mode did not help.
Trying to finish some work I hung on for a while. It was unworkable. Finally decided that I must downgrade back to 3.0 - at that moment an `urgent security upgrade' appeared (3.5.3). After installation all the symptoms vanished.
Not a word in the Release Notes about fixing this problem. Indeed, the blame for all slowdown-symptoms is placed on Add-Ons or Extensions (normally true, as notated above).