I am considering using a Synology DS1010+ as my intranet web server. I currently use a Dell DE521.
My intranet application queries a large number of records to search and filter information.
- Usage entails reading, with little writing, to MySQL.
- Data is mostly text, very few images (if any).
- There are typically 5 concurrent users.
I have "raced" these two LAMP machines:
- CentOS 5 on a Dell Dimension E521 Pentium D 3GHz + 2GB Ram using a 7,200RPM HD.
- Synology DS210+ (1.06GHz + 512MB Ram) on RAID 1 using 7,200RPM HD.
The Dell typically beats the DS210+ by about 3-5 seconds on each page load.
Do you think a Synology DS 1010+ (1.67 Dual Core + 1MB Ram) on Raid 5 would be quicker than the Dell?
I am considering replacing the aging Dell with a Synology DS1010+, but only if it can match or exceed the Dell's performance.
All feedback much appreciated. Allan