joined:June 14, 2010
I have what I suspect is a BIOS issue with my primary development system. I'm going to list the symptoms and some background leading up to this problem hoping someone can offer some suggestions or insight.
- The PC is about 10 years old. No manufacturer brand. It was custom assembled.
- ASUS PT4-E Motherboard.
- 1.6 GHZ Intel CPU (or 1.8, can't remember for sure).
- Originally 512MB of PC800-40ns ECC Rambus RDRAM (upgraded to 1GB about 2 years ago).
- 2 Western Digital 60GB ATA HDDs (dual boot Windows XP Pro + Windows 2000 Pro kept for IE6 testing).
- Originally a 64MB video upgraded to a 256 dual display Geforce video card about 1 year ago (don't remember model).
- Replaced BIOS battery about 1 year ago.
- As best as I can remember I think I had the BIOS up-to-date.
- 350 watt ATX power supply took it's last breath about 1 month ago and replaced with same.
- Interior is dust-free and there didn't appear to be any issues with over-heating that I am aware of.
Symptoms in days leading up to this failure...
- I figured something was in the shadows because a few times in the last week after leaving the PC idle for a while it would be completely frozen when I returned to it - oddly enough the taskbar clock indicated 11:11 each time. Only a hard boot would resolve it (press and hold power button until powered off because it wouldn't respond to CTRL+ALT+DEL).
- Yesterday evening after most of the day away from it I returned to find it frozen again. Though this is no doubt just a coincidence -- clock again said 11:11. ~rant~ hehehe, of course my mind is processing this silly little detail as 111 111 111 which is binary for 7, or 7,7,7 - of course I'm thinking as a SevenCubed (7x7x7) would, I think I need fresh air more often :(
- This time pressing and holding power button wouldn't shut it down, had to pull the plug but since then it will not boot anymore.
Steps taken to resolve...
- First of all their are no POST happy sounds
- I've isolated the drives by placing only one on the IDE at a time. Neither OS will boot.
- Pressing F8 on boot-up will not get me into OS start-up menu.
- Cannot get into BIOS setup on boot-up, <delete> key on this system, I know this isn't a promising sign :(
Like some other aspects of computing, I know enough about hardware and BIOS to keep things running efficiently. I've always done all my own upgrades and fixing minor issues over the years but I know this situation is over my head and so any feedback would be welcomed. It's my main development server and would surely like to get it back up and running!