Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Forum Moderators: open
Hundreds of thousands of unsafe chargers for mobile phones, games consoles and music devices could have made their way into the UK.
Trading standards officers studying dangerous chargers being imported from China say vast numbers are available on the internet and in shops.
Their tests show one brand can overheat or cause electrocution.
One of the chargers concerned has the code marking DE62347066. Others have no code and are called Travel Charger.
Check your chargers and replace if necessary!
On closer examination several copper tracks had vaporised and the switching semiconductor had a hole through it - pretty impressive.
By fitting a simple surge limiting resistor costing a fraction of a pence, the pyrotechnics could have been avoided and the charger would have simply 'died'.
Luckily my MP3 survived and I now charge it via the USB.