I wanted to let you guys and gals know that I've gotten it resolved, and I wanted to post some details for future readers.
First off, Softlayer was NO help. I submitted a ticket for assistance at 9:37pm on 7/31/19, but have not yet had a reply. They used to be great when they were The Planet, and were OK after Softlayer took over. Now IBM has taken over, and their support is worthless.
But I digress.
Last night, in WHM I went to Manage SSL Hosts and deleted the host account that's giving me trouble. This deleted the certificates for all of my parked domains. Then I went to Manage AutoSSL > Manage Users, found the account name, and clicked "Check [example]".
The system ran for a minute before giving the following message:
Checking websites for “example” …
4:02:09 AM Analyzing “example.com” …
4:02:09 AM ERROR TLS Status: Defective
ERROR Defect: NO_SSL: No SSL certificate is installed.
But then at the end it gave:
The provider “cPanel (powered by Sectigo)”’s AutoSSL queue already contains a certificate request for “example”’s website “example.com”. The request’s start time is Jul 29, 2019, 9:09:45 PM UTC, and its last poll time is Aug 2, 2019, 9:02:03 PM UTC.
3:18:54 AM The system has completed the AutoSSL check for “example”.
So for whatever reason, the system thought that the certificate existed, when it did not! I waited for about 2 hours, and there were no further updates and the certificate wasn't working.
Then I noticed that when I viewed one of my sites and got a certificate error, it said that a certificate existed but that it was for another account on my server. That's when I saw that Manage SSL Hosts had listed that account as "Primary" (presumably because, alphabetically, it was the first on the list of accounts).
So I then deleted THAT host, too, and then went back to Manage Users and clicked for it to check both accounts; the one I've been working with all along, and the one that had formerly been listed as the Primary.
Within a few minutes, the log file showed that a new certificate was being installed for both accounts. And within about 10 minutes, all of my accounts were working perfectly again :-D
So I THINK that the key notes here were:
- Go to Manage SSL Hosts and delete the host
- Go to Manage AutoSSL > Manage Users and click "Check [account name]" to get it to reinstall. If it's going to work then it should be reinstalled within 5-10 minutes, max
- If the system thinks that another account's certificate matches the one you deleted and isn't installing the new one, then deleting that host and clicking to reinstall it MAY help. At least, it worked for me.