My least favorite activities include:
- Dealing with broken links, onsite and off
- Dealing with plugins that fail
- Dealing with junk traffic - bots, etc
What have I done to lessen or mitigate the PITA factor of the above?
So, what are or have been your WedDev headaches, annoyances, or pains?
- Broken links? -> Deployed broken link checker plugins, which I use and then pull down to keep the plugin itself from becoming a new headache - as it runs and re-runs and runs again
- Plugins that fail? -> If it's a "simple plugin" I'll pull apart the code, selecting just the essential "operative code", and embed that code in my custom functions file. If it's a plugin that is more involved I'll only employ it if it has a long history of support, wide use and a minimal a history of vulnerabilities. Sometimes I'll pay for a plugin IFF that's what's needed to assure long term support for the plugin's development.
- Junk traffic? -> I run my own VPS. That way I have both wider (multiple sites) and more granular (Apache Pre-Virtual includes settings, CSF settings, Mod-Security settings, etc) control
What have you been able to do to mitigate the PITA-factor?