My main site is getting a redesign, and I have been doing all the dev work on a local server. I wanted to create a sub-domain (beta.example.com) in order to upload the new work and fully test it out on the live server (password protected).
Went to host, set up the sub. created a web root for the sub and uploaded the files. went to the domain and there it was. Clicked through about 10 links then one link resolved to my home router.
hmmmm clicked back and again it was the router login page. typed the domain and again saw my router... went to another domain, worked perfectly then tried the new sub again. Router login page.
I could access any other site, even other sub-domains on the same domain. The problems only occurred when I visited the new sub. Then it started working fine again. then failed to load some images/css and then loaded the router login page.
It then got even stranger. It started displaying the first virtual host on my dev server...
It was around this point I remembered I did set up the same sub-domain about 5 months ago, and forwarded it to my IP address. I set up port forwarding on the router to point it to my dev server.
This record was removed months ago, and when I re created the sub-domain again today I used my host ip and pointed it to a folder at server root.
Can an old dns record really lie dormant in some far off dns server waiting for the record to be updated before rearing it's ugly head and causing this, or am I overlooking something simple here.
My head hurts!