Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.224.253.82

Forum Moderators: phranque

Message Too Old, No Replies

Google Hates My XML Sitemap

But it likes an identically coded one on another site

     
7:46 pm on Feb 25, 2011 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Nov 24, 2005
posts: 173
votes: 0


OK, I'm at wit's end. I've validated my XML sitemap using 4 online tools-- even the W3C validator. I got a clean pass on all of them.

I saw where Google didn't always like the <lastmod> tags, so I removed those. No effect. But they accepted the <lastmod> tags in the other sitemap.

All the &'s are escaped using entity codes. (Yep, screwed that up once before when carelessly saving into ASCII out of Notepad). The sitemap is where it belongs and where I told G to find it. But resubmits don't help.

This sitemap uses the same coding that a sister domain uses. Google has no problem with it, but they don't like my new one.

Does anybody know of any gotchas that I may have overlooked?
8:52 pm on Feb 25, 2011 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 5+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:Aug 29, 2006
posts:1312
votes: 0


Does anybody know of any gotchas that I may have overlooked?

I can offer "blocking the sitemap bot or its IP range(s)".

Worth checking, I'd say.

...
1:00 pm on Mar 8, 2011 (gmt 0)

New User

10+ Year Member

joined:Feb 7, 2006
posts: 29
votes: 0


Need link to the XML sitemap in question and the exact error messages you get in Google Webmaster Tools (click on the sitemap file link in GTW to see them)
1:21 pm on Mar 8, 2011 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Nov 24, 2005
posts: 173
votes: 0


Thanks for everybody's help. It turned out that the sitemap was perfect all along.

This site was just moved from one hosting company to a new one. A third part IT guy controlled the client's domain account and wouldn't allow me access to the DNS settings. He screwed up the DNS somehow and, although the site was live, Google wouldn't accept the sitemap. Nor could they see my pages when I "fetched as Googlebot" in G Webmaster Tools.

He corrected whatever he did. Now the site rankings are back up as before in Google.

I still can't figure out what he did that would allow the site to be live on the new nameservers but Google couldn't/wouldn't spider the pages.
 

Join The Conversation

Moderators and Top Contributors

Hot Threads This Week

Featured Threads

Free SEO Tools

Hire Expert Members