Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Forum Moderators: phranque
I have taken a look at google analytics and everything looks normal with no increase in traffic.
Please could any of you guys make asuggestion on how to track the cause of this matter. I recently had non related problems with my hosting. I spent days looking for the cause only to find out it was the hosts fault even though they had completely denied it from day 1.
This is the message from the hosts :
It looks like the biggest jump began early this month, around the time that you changed the header image (/forum/header/rotator.php). This banner is being viewed by every person that visits your forum and is viewed on every single page.
Usually, an image wouldn't be a big deal for bandwidth, but yours is rather large, around 137KB which adds up quick. I suggest either changing the image or compressing it into a smaller size.
[edited by: tedster at 3:53 pm (utc) on Oct. 25, 2009]
[edit reason] Removed specifics, paraphrased email [/edit]
Hope it helps
Is this true ?
I'd ask for where I can see that it's **this** banner. Don't forget, your overall bandwidth is from many different locations of your site. They may have just done a quick look ordered by the biggest hog and this one is on top. You need to be able to see and assess the same.
The hosts were insisting it was this banner. I do not know if they are right or wrong, but I have removed it and I will see what happens.
In the meantime they are now blaiming an RSS2HTML script that I run on my homepage. This is not logical as the script has been in place for 2 years but the bandwidth only doubled this month.
I am well and truelly stuck and very worried. I pay �400 for the 160 gig. I cant afford to pay more and I know that my site traffic hasnt doubled so why has the bandwidth ? Where do I start in trying to locate the problem.
I had the same problem on one of my sites and found that someone had gotten through my forum spam filters and posted "bad stuff" deep inside my forum.
Once I found and deleted them and the account, then plugged the holes, bandwidth went back to normal.
Where do I start in trying to locate the problem.
See previous post (and I'm sure others have mentioned it on page one,) look at your stats.
I'll say, also - when tech support gives one answer, you fix it, then gives you a diametrically opposed answer, it's time to start thinking this tech support doesn't really care, doesn't really know, and are just reacting to the alerts they received about over limits for a customer. You're an annoyance, they want to spit out some canned response and get back to their game of WOW or Tetris. Often they lead you away fro the solution instead of toward one.
Had one tell me last week I could modify the content of my <title> element with CSS. Very helpful. :-\