Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.147.50.227

Forum Moderators: phranque

Message Too Old, No Replies

unlimited space hosting

     
8:45 pm on Jul 28, 2009 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:Mar 1, 2005
posts:741
votes: 0


hello,

I often come across hosting sellers who promise unlimited disk space usage for a reasonable price.

But is that thrue? Is the disk usage really "unlimited"?
What is your knowledge/experience about?

thanks

8:52 pm on July 28, 2009 (gmt 0)

Moderator from US 

WebmasterWorld Administrator lifeinasia is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:Dec 10, 2005
posts:5628
votes: 48


There is definitely no such thing as unlimited disk space. Disk drives have physical limits. If you read the fine print, they may specify some limit. Most likely they just make it higher than they expect most sites to use (e,g,, 10G). Then if someone actually starts nearing the limit, they'll come up with some other excuse (excessive bandwidth usage, too much CPU utilization, etc.) to force them to upgrade to a higher-priced plan.
2:03 am on July 29, 2009 (gmt 0)

Administrator from JP 

WebmasterWorld Administrator bill is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:Oct 12, 2000
posts:14851
votes: 101


I've been chastised on several of those types of hosts for excessive space usage. They will make up all sorts of excuses. They will claim that your files are unauthorized, or your sites are impacting other users, or something similar. Take those unlimited deals with a grain of salt.
7:45 pm on July 29, 2009 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:Mar 1, 2005
posts:741
votes: 0


well,

There is no appearent reason for wich a hosting reseller should offer unlimited disk usage with no additional charge, of course.
Probably they estabilish a certain space on usage statistics basis among their customers: assuming the 95% of their users use averagely 5Gb disk space or so, they offer you the same space claiming it as "unlimited", relying on the fact that your disk usage will fall within that average, while if you will be one of the remaining 5% that needs more disk space, they assume the risk to loose you, or they propose you a paid upgrade...
But what I'm really wondering for is what is the real disk quota that these "unlimited" packages offers:
what is the limit you came across?
After how many Mb or Gb of disk usage they ring your bell :-D?

9:47 pm on July 29, 2009 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member bwnbwn is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:Oct 25, 2005
posts:3518
votes: 11


If a host tells me I have unlimited disk space I won't host with them because they are telling you a ball face lie, and I want nothing to do with a company such as that.

Find one that gives you limits and you found one to host with.

9:55 pm on July 29, 2009 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:Mar 4, 2004
posts:877
votes: 0


If you look in the fine print you'll find limits, for example one host I'm aware of limits the file size and the amount of files you can have so it is in effect limited. It's a generous amount but still a limit.

Having said other than what was already mentioned where most people will never get anywhere those limits it's the other limits such as for CPU usage where you'll hit the brick wall. You can have all the disk space and bandwidth in the world but if you're running a dynamic site with something like a forum you're going to butt your head up against that.

Truthfully the only way you could utilize those limits is to have a site with all static html pages serving really large images and video files.