Full U-A: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; BTRS130279; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; AskTbFXTV5/126.96.36.19907; IE0006_ver1;EN_GB)
10:30 pm on Feb 23, 2012 (gmt 0)
A guess only:
SE Ask's ToolBar?
10:34 pm on Feb 23, 2012 (gmt 0)
cyber, About a week ago, I typed in a thread on this and after completion hit the "search" at the bottom left of page, which is a relatively new modification. I was too lazy to retype.
When I reactivated my site, I began getting requests from my own IP and fron a different browser UA than the FF 7.0, which was a very recent update.
Initially I figured there was a plug-in somehow hidden within FF, which didn't show in options.
Well, jokes on me. It turns out that the FREE AV software Avira comes installed with the AskTB and doesn't inform users. I had a difficult time finding instructions on how to remove the thing and due to my other activities put the Avira modification on the back burner.
I did add the AskTB UA into my sites denied UA's and that seems to have slowed it down on my site. I've no clue what requests it's making to other sites.
In addition, in FF and if I've Java enabled, upon typing a box pops up named search. Turning off Java is the only way to stop it. Closing the box only reopens it. Three cheers for Avira!
10:38 pm on Feb 23, 2012 (gmt 0)
Here's the complete UA from my logs and my own IP:
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; AskTbFXTV5/188.8.131.5249; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"
MY FF UA is: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1"
Thanks a lot wilderness. Seems pretty harmless then and especially in the small amounts I've seen it appear, but worth keeping half an eye on if for no other reason than it appears Avira are being a little sneaky for reasons known only to them.
11:58 pm on Feb 23, 2012 (gmt 0)
wilderness, Thanks for this information, experiences like this are very helpful when making a decision. In this case, the same IP, the same PC but two UserAgents.
A really crazy question, what if I send inappropriate content to the second UserAgent.
I ask because sometimes these programs using the user's machine, make me lose a lot of time.
I have to apologize to cyberdyne, for taking the thread in this way.